Technician
    Ricoh MPC 2550 Scan problems

Hello Again
    Does anyone have the latest firmware for a Ricoh MPC 2550. I know that it is an older machine however my client has now upgraded to Windows 10 and cant scan to folder anymore.
    All help appreciated.

Regards

Fuzzylogic

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MPC 2550 Scan problems

Microsoft's update to patch the hole used by the ransom virus to turned off a portion of SMB used by Ricoh and other Unix based MFP manufacturers. Even though the firmware released after the introduction of Windows 8 allowed SMB v3 compatibility, SMB v1 support is still required for initial connection. Ricoh is currently working to produce a firmware that will replace the Unix Samba, which is compatible with SMB v1, with a utility that will connect to either SMB v2 or SMB v3. Until that time, use either FTP or scan to email.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Don't think its going to happen as Ricoh have stopped supporting MP C2550. Windows 10 was released in 2015 and the last firmware update for the copier was in 2013.
    Also if it's the same client I'm thinking of we've asked them to go away and stop bothering us.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Don't think its going to happen as Ricoh have stopped supporting MP C2550. Windows 10 was released in 2015 and the last firmware update for the copier was in 2013.
    Also if it's the same client I'm thinking of we've asked them to go away and stop bothering us.
    That update was to correct SMB scan to Windows 8/Server2012. That was when Microsoft introduced SMB v3. At that time Ricoh-USA released custom firmware for all older, out of production, models that used SD cards for update.

I find it much easier to setup scan to GMX or FileZilla, just ask if you want to step through it.

MFDMan

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    That update was to correct SMB scan to Windows 8/Server2012. That was when Microsoft introduced SMB v3. At that time Ricoh-USA released custom firmware for all older, out of production, models that used SD cards for update.

Hello, just to an update on some of the recent posts on Ricoh/Wanna cry and SMBv1. There was no firmware update released to enable scanning to Windows 8/2012. The fix was an additional
    option was added into the TCP packets for the following commands ""SMB_COM_WRITE_ANDX and SMB_COM_READ_ANDX. This was for Samba communication with SMBv1.
    Currently as far as the UK market is concerned Ricoh devices only communicate with SMBv1. As far as I understand Ricoh USA requested SMBv2/3 support but not clear if that has been provided.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MFDMan View Post
    Hello, just to an update on some of the recent posts on Ricoh/Wanna cry and SMBv1. There was no firmware update released to enable scanning to Windows 8/2012. The fix was an additional
    option was added into the TCP packets for the following commands ""SMB_COM_WRITE_ANDX and SMB_COM_READ_ANDX. This was for Samba communication with SMBv1.
    Currently as far as the UK market is concerned Ricoh devices only communicate with SMBv1. As far as I understand Ricoh USA requested SMBv2/3 support but not clear if that has been provided.
    The fix, as you call it, was release as an update to the Network Control System firmware and therefore was a firmware update. The commands added allowed SMB v1 to write to drives through SMB v3. Commands to properly send authentication for SMB v2 was added years ago. In both cases, the connection was through SMB v1 which is what the recent Microsoft Security Update turned off.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by MFDMan View Post
    This is about the only true statement I've read on the internet on this particular subject MFDman!
    Do a Wireshark capture and it's plain to see that any Ricoh running BSD OS does not use SMB2/3 as they haven't paid the samba folk the GNU licence fee for its compatibility (although they probably have v.recently), anyone that can prove otherwise, please post a packet trace and I'll happily take a look. People seem to think NTLMv2 = SMB2, again sadly this is not the case.

The recent Microsoft patch does not turn off SMB1, despite what I keep reading in numerous forums. IT folk are turning it off, not the patch. Well not unless a new patch has been released this week that does so but MS17-010 most certainly does not disable SMB1. The patch was for Eternal Blue and Double Pulsar backdoors that WannaCrypt and Adylkuzz took advantage of. But what do I know? The packets never lie is all I do know.

Just my tupenceworth