Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP2501 HDD wipe

Technician

MP2501 HDD wipe

Hoping for some help here. I have been tasked with finding out how to wipe the HDD's on Lanier mp2501's.

We are not a Ricoh/Lanier/Savin dealer, but we have a prospect that is looking to upgrade with us and does not want to deal with their existing dealer. They are in the healthcare field and need to have their HDD's wiped on their machines before they are returned to the lease company for HIPPAA compliance. I am sure there is security software from Lanier that will do it, but again, they don't want to deal with their current dealer.

We offered to remove their HDD's and have them wiped/destroyed and install replacement drives. I know on some machines this is easy and on others not so easy. How is it on the mp2501i?

I also know we will need to have the software/firmware updated to make the machine operational. How is that done?

I have told the sales rep the software method is the easiest and probably the least expensive in the long run.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MP2501 HDD wipe

The 2501's don't come with HDD's unless you also purchase the HDD Option type M1. The HDD option also comes with DOSS and HDD Encryption and if it was installed its a simple matter to run the Erase all option from user tools. Ricoh firmware isn't on the Hard Drives so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP2501 HDD wipe

Most Ricoh HDD are off the shelf drives. They can be caddie mounted and formatted by a computer. Once placed back in the MFP, it will detect that the drive is blank and install the needed folder structure.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mikedci View Post
    The 2501's don't come with HDD's unless you also purchase the HDD Option type M1. The HDD option also comes with DOSS and HDD Encryption and if it was installed its a simple matter to run the Erase all option from user tools. Ricoh firmware isn't on the Hard Drives so you shouldn't have to worry about that.
    mikedc1-So how do I tell the sales rep to see if it has the HDD option? Will a status page or report show the installed options? Is the drive easily installed? I know on our older Kyoceras the HDD slid in the side of the print system.

"Most Ricoh HDD are off the shelf drives. They can be caddie mounted and formatted by a computer. Once placed back in the MFP, it will detect that the drive is blank and install the needed folder structure."

slimslob-So I assume our memory supplier (Memory Experts) can get the HDD. Also, do they need to be formatted on a pc or can it be done in the copier?

Your replies are much appreciated.

Mike

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP2501 HDD wipe

Print SMC diagnostic report, SP 5990-005. It will show if there is a HDD. If it does not have a HDD you will the HDD option kit. Includes the drive, mount plate and cables needed. If it does have a HDD but you want to replace it, look at the information plate on the drive. It will show make and model of the drive. Anything of the same or larger size will work. 2501 will recognize that there is a new drive and prepare it automatically.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MP2501 HDD wipe

HDD install doc
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I Used To Live To Fix Things Now i Fix Things To Live

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If you're having the sales rep check for hard drives they can print a config page to get the info and they won't have to enter service mode. user tools/counter > printer features > configuration page.

Technician

So the sales rep printed the config page and it doesn't show an HDD. It shows 4 meg of RAM disk so I assumed that also meant no HDD.

Where on the config sheet would the HDD show if it was installed. On Kyocera's, the status page shows HDD---"not installed".

Mike

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Print out config page on two ricoh mp 161 and mp c3300 no where does it show a hard drive. I know the mp161 doesn't have one and mp c3300 does. Best thing is to look visually. The hard drive is mount on network card unit. pull it out and take a look of course may sure power is off.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hdd shows at the top under system reference

20170530161525387.pdf

this one doesn't have one. if it did it would say hdd in the highighted area
    Last edited by mikedci; 05-30-2017 at 09:16 PM. Reason: clarity