Thread: Ricoh 2075 ADF

Ricoh 2075 ADF

A company has just donated a Ricoh 2075 to our school. It's a great piece of machinery and I took upon myself the task of setting it up. However, the problem I have been unable to overcome is getting the ADF to work.

I understand that once paper is placed on it, it is supposed to elevate and feed the paper to be photocopied. However, when I try to initiate the photocopying process, the top of the ADF where the paper is placed does not budge, I simply get the message that paper size cannot be detected and the process fails. Calling back the office that donated the photocopier to us, they report that the ADF worked fine when they sent it to us. The cables also seem to be placed securely where they are supposed to be.

Well, before calling in the local Ricoh dealer and sounding like a fool, I would like to ask if there's probably a lock that might have been activated during the transport that blocks the ADF's lifting mechanism, some setting that has probably been reset and deactivated it, or anything else that I might be able to do to make sure the ADF is not broken.

Re: Ricoh 2075 ADF

The copiers DF should automatically raise into position once an original is placed. If it doesn't detect an original, it will instead try to copy from the main glass. This is where the incorrect size error comes from, as there is nothing detected on the main glass.

Is the copier's beep function turned on?
    If it is, whenever you insert an original into the DF it should beep to alert you.
    If it's not then this can be turned on in User Tools > System Settings > Panel Tone (See: http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub.../B1416708A.pdf pages 50 & 51, actual pages 62 & 63).

If the DF does not detect the original it can either be a bad detection sensor, broken flag arm, or the DF has come unplugged.
    The detection sensor and flag arm are in the parts catalog, under items 10 & 6, respectively. Page 22 (actual page 27).

To check the condition of the sensor you can enter SP mode. From any screen, but usually best to do it from the copy screen, press Yellow cancel key, 1, 0, 7 on the number pad, then press and hold the red stop key (see page 376 of the service manual).
    From the SP menu go to Copy SP, make sure SP Direct is black, if not press it, and enter 6007001. This will bring up the DF input check (see page 544 of the service manual).

The readings will show, from right to left, different sensors, you should only be concerned with bit number 3. If you open the DF lid and place a piece of paper in between the sensor, its value should change. If it doesn't, then a new sensor will be needed.

If it does change, the next step would be to make sure the flag arm is still intact, if you close the lid you will see the arm drop down into the sensor.

Finally, to check the DF is plugged in, the easiest way is from the same SP mode as before, 6007001, but by checking one of the three (or all) sensors on the originals tray (parts 28, on the same page of the parts catalog). These sensors are the bit numbers 0, 1, and 2. It is unlikely that all these sensors will fail at the same time.

If they also don't change their values, then most likely the DF is faulty or unplugged.

If memory serves me right, then the DF should be an integrated plug, which means you will need to remove the rear panels to get to the connector. By doing this you will need to turn off and discharge the copier.

Parts catalog: https://ufile.io/bm5tw
    Service manual: https://ufile.io/1lt1u

Wow! Thanks for the detailed answer. I appreciate the time you took to write all this down. I will try everything as soon as I return to school on Tuesday (Monday's a holiday in Greece).

There is a beeping sound when the originals are placed on the DF. That's why I reasoned the DF connection to the main unit is probably fine.

As a teacher of English, I'm not sure I'm qualified to open the unit and (literally) screw everything up. So, if it comes to that, we'll probably need to contact the local dealership to get the unit serviced. I simply didn't want to experience the face-palm moment of seeing a technician arrive just to activate a couple of settings and get everything back in order. In any case, I'll keep you updated...

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Ricoh 2075 ADF

Quickest check to determine if the ADF is connected properly is to lift the cover over where the paper feeds in. It should indicate on the control panel that a cover is open.

The ADF used on this model has a history of the harness going to the paper present sensor on the lift plate going bad. Constant flexing as the table raises and lowers causes one of the leads to break. I have also seen the sensor itself break where the cable connects.

Thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Quickest check to determine if the ADF is connected properly is to lift the cover over where the paper feeds in. It should indicate on the control panel that a cover is open.
    It does.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The ADF used on this model has a history of the harness going to the paper present sensor on the lift plate going bad. Constant flexing as the table raises and lowers causes one of the leads to break. I have also seen the sensor itself break where the cable connects.
    Well, I just hope that, if we have this sort of hardware problem, it won't be too expensive to fix... I know it sounds like looking a gift horse in the mouth since we got the unit for free but, with the current financial situation in state schools around Greece, every cent counts.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh 2075 ADF

Sorry I can't help much with Ricoh. I remember working on that model a long time ago. Only thing that comes to mind is one of the sensors or actuators is stuck from when copier was transported to your location.

Keep in mind that model is around 13 yrs old. Although the other poster gave you some detailed valuable information I don't think it is something an end user should attempt. Personally I would use it best you can. Parts will probably be hard to get now or in near future. And not even sure an authorized Ricoh will even work on it because of age. Any smart service dept will know that working on this old stuff is "opening a can of worms". Most of the time coming back to bite you in the ass.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Sorry I can't help much with Ricoh. I remember working on that model a long time ago. Only thing that comes to mind is one of the sensors or actuators is stuck from when copier was transported to your location.

Keep in mind that model is around 13 yrs old. Although the other poster gave you some detailed valuable information I don't think it is something an end user should attempt. Personally I would use it best you can. Parts will probably be hard to get now or in near future. And not even sure an authorized Ricoh will even work on it because of age. Any smart service dept will know that working on this old stuff is "opening a can of worms". Most of the time coming back to bite you in the ass.
    yes it is old but most of the PM parts are still the same as MP7502

Thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    This is what I hinted at above. As our school is based in Macedonia, I expect that the local dealership will probably redirect us to their headquarters in Athens and, as a result, repair costs could skyrocket. Anyway, I'll try to do my best with Ruben's suggestions above and hope for the best.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts francisco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emavro View Post
    A company has just donated a Ricoh 2075 to our school. It's a great piece of machinery and I took upon myself the task of setting it up. However, the problem I have been unable to overcome is getting the ADF to work.

I understand that once paper is placed on it, it is supposed to elevate and feed the paper to be photocopied. However, when I try to initiate the photocopying process, the top of the ADF where the paper is placed does not budge, I simply get the message that paper size cannot be detected and the process fails. Calling back the office that donated the photocopier to us, they report that the ADF worked fine when they sent it to us. The cables also seem to be placed securely where they are supposed to be.

Well, before calling in the local Ricoh dealer and sounding like a fool, I would like to ask if there's probably a lock that might have been activated during the transport that blocks the ADF's lifting mechanism, some setting that has probably been reset and deactivated it, or anything else that I might be able to do to make sure the ADF is not broken.
    Hy
    tri to see if the harness(item 17) is not brocken
    Attached Files Attached Files

I went to school yesterday and, as per Ruben's instructions, I tried to check the sensors' status through SP. They all seemed to be 0 (zero) and remained so even though I placed and removed paper (the beeping sound could be heard) and tried lifting the ADF. The ADF seemed to be connected to the main unit at all times.

So, I guess the problem is a bit more serious than I originally thought. Since we're now in an exam period and heavily use all our copiers, I guess we'll need to contact the local service provider in a couple of weeks and see where that takes us.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll report back with any developments as soon as possible.