Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ricoh AF 2035 Add Toner/ No Toner won't clear...

The customer replaced the toner bottle with an OEM toner that was malformed at the end so that the toner motor couldn't grab and rotate it. I was able to get a different bottle in and turning fine but now the ADD TONER won't go away and it keeps saying "No Toner". This is rendering the machine unable to print or copy (it can still scan). Short of doing a hard reset (Which I REALLY don't want to do) is there anything else I can try? Any help will be MOST APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance. SwanyG

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh AF 2035 Add Toner/ No Toner won't clear...

You can use SP 2208 to put the machine in pixel count mode. It will ignore the readings from the TD and ID sensors. Could have a bad TD sensor. Could also mean toner isn't actually making it into the PCU.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

The mylar flaps in the toner hopper are notorious for falling off. Replace the hopper if toner is not exiting the hopper.

The chute through the PCU which the toner falls through to reach the developer unit can also plug up. You will see a backup of toner in the PCU if this is the case.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SwanyG View Post
    The customer replaced the toner bottle with an OEM toner that was malformed at the end so that the toner motor couldn't grab and rotate it. I was able to get a different bottle in and turning fine but now the ADD TONER won't go away and it keeps saying "No Toner". This is rendering the machine unable to print or copy (it can still scan). Short of doing a hard reset (Which I REALLY don't want to do) is there anything else I can try? Any help will be MOST APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance. SwanyG
    the toner hopper is frequently problem if machine asking for add toner check and inspect the hopper if you move the lock handle and look the inside if moving to hold the bottle.... if not and didn't know how to give remedy the best way change the toner hopper .....good luck

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post
    You can use SP 2208 to put the machine in pixel count mode. It will ignore the readings from the TD and ID sensors. Could have a bad TD sensor. Could also mean toner isn't actually making it into the PCU.
    Thank you for your replies. I stopped back and went to sp 2208. Only option was "0" so I changed it to "1". I think I locked it in with #/enter key, is that correct? No change.

I should be more specific about the condition.

The machine does not even attempt to add toner to find out that it is out of toner. It immediately comes up upon power on.

I did disassemble the hopper and inspected the mylar flaps... all good and in place.

It attempted to add toner with a bad bottle and locked itself out. Now I don't know how to "unlock" that condition.

Thank you. SwanyG

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

First thing, there is no reason to do a hard reset/memory clear. As previously mentioned, is the chuck in the hopper fully opening when the handle is up? They tend to stick over time and may not be grabbing the nipple on the bottle when you lower the handle. Have you tried an output check for the toner bottle motor and does it turn? Check the developer unit and make sure the augers are turning internally when you manually turn the drive gear (you could have a broken unit)? Check Vsg value, do a force toner for 10 secs and recheck. Did the value change? Did I mention not to do a memory clear?

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SwanyG View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I stopped back and went to sp 2208. Only option was "0" so I changed it to "1". I think I locked it in with #/enter key, is that correct? No change.

I should be more specific about the condition.

The machine does not even attempt to add toner to find out that it is out of toner. It immediately comes up upon power on.

I did disassemble the hopper and inspected the mylar flaps... all good and in place.

It attempted to add toner with a bad bottle and locked itself out. Now I don't know how to "unlock" that condition.

Thank you. SwanyG

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Are you sure there isn't a door ajar? If the add toner condition occurred and a door was opened and incompletely shut (like a clueless client who does not know where the toner goes) you will only see the add toner message and not the fact a door is also open.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Are you sure there isn't a door ajar? If the add toner condition occurred and a door was opened and incompletely shut (like a clueless client who does not know where the toner goes) you will only see the add toner message and not the fact a door is also open.
    Or a bad door sensor. All doors need to be closed before toner load starts.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

In some cases the head of oem toner bottles causes a damage to the toner supply unit. The green handle is not move gently correct and release the plug from the bottle. Or as the colleague said, the mylars came off in the toner supply unit. In both cases you have to replace the toner supply unit. Take out the toner supply unit and check it. Take a toner vacuum cleaner and suck it all out from the unit. If the manual toning does not work, then it must be replaced.
    I also had a broken spiral wheel in the dev. unit which was the cause of add toner message.
    Last edited by aktasson; 06-16-2017 at 12:30 PM.