Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar

Martini Mp9002 Drum shaft

Hi All.
    Been a while since my last visit here. Wanted to find out if anyone has had a problem with the drum shaft wearing out on this model at around 1.5mil. This has caused the machine to dump shed loads of toner in the PCU and generally crap C/PQ. I also suspect that this was the cause of some intermittent electrical issues, i.e. SC204, even after the mirror and board replacement, then suddenly stopped. Also had an issue with the timing in the finisher causing it to booklet staple out of alignment and the ejector belt to misfire, causing dents in the paper and jams.
    On the advice of the Ricoh boys I replaced the drum shaft and bracket. Previously there was little to no continuity between the shaft and the contact plate on the rear. After replacement, perfect continuity.
    1.5 mil seems rather soon for it to fail considering the volume this machine does.
    Any thoughts.
    Have a great weekend

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Martini Mp9002 Drum shaft

Most likely you did not need to replace the drum shaft. The problem is caused by the conductive bearing in the bracket losing its conductivity. Would be nice if Ricoh sold just the bearing.

Quick fix in the field is to mount a piece of a paper clip under the screw for the electrode plate and position it to ride on the drum shaft. Gives you time to order a new bracket.

Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Most likely you did not need to replace the drum shaft. The problem is caused by the conductive bearing in the bracket losing its conductivity. Would be nice if Ricoh sold just the bearing.

Quick fix in the field is to mount a piece of a paper clip under the screw for the electrode plate and position it to ride on the drum shaft. Gives you time to order a new bracket.
    Totally agree, but didn't fancy taking it apart a third time if there was still an issue. First time was to test for continuity. I did manage to knock the sensor out of the Toner recycling unit because the cable is so bloody short. Just needed to move it enough to get the bracket out. That cost me another half hours worth of work to strip down and get the little bugger back in place lol

Whislt on the subject of the MP9002 Drum shaft. I tried to PM one of ours today and the drum shaft knob came off in my hand.
    Tried the get the nut off with some pliers to no avail. Eventually used one of my small files and cut a flat across it (pictured).
    Only problem is that it will have to wait till tomorrow now for me to return with a huge flat bladed driver to get it off.
    The machine previous to this one Pro906ex had same / similar issue with the knob. Failing hand turning the knob do you guys carry a wrench or heavy pliers around for these? I'm hoping that i can get it off upon return tomorrow but may bring a large pair of plumbers type adjustable grips just in case as well!
    mp90022.jpg

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Itanic View Post
    Whislt on the subject of the MP9002 Drum shaft. I tried to PM one of ours today and the drum shaft knob came off in my hand.
    Tried the get the nut off with some pliers to no avail. Eventually used one of my small files and cut a flat across it (pictured).
    Only problem is that it will have to wait till tomorrow now for me to return with a huge flat bladed driver to get it off.
    The machine previous to this one Pro906ex had same / similar issue with the knob. Failing hand turning the knob do you guys carry a wrench or heavy pliers around for these? I'm hoping that i can get it off upon return tomorrow but may bring a large pair of plumbers type adjustable grips just in case as well!
    mp90022.jpg
    I have had a couple of machines where the plastic portion of the knob has come loose from the metal. I have always been able to put the knob back on, tap it lightly with the handle of a large screw driver and then push in hard on the knob while starting to turn it. In the future avoid over tightening.

Thanks for the advice slimslob. Eventually removed by getting an extra pair of hands round the back of the machine to stop the drive shaft turning whilst getting the brass nut off. Tapped back into it's plastic housing with a hammer and hey presto!

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post

I'm having intermittent SC204 on this same model mp9002 what bracket are you talking about do you have a part number or picture any help will be greatly appreciated.