Technician

Ricoh MP C4502 Showing All Toners Are Low

One of my techs is looking at a MP C4502 that is showing all toners are low, but all toner bottles are full. He has swapped out the I/O Board and the BCU, updated FW, etc. Ricoh support has not been helpful. Anyone dealt with this?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP C4502 Showing All Toners Are Low

I wouldn't be too concerned if the machine is showing the toner as being "Low". As long as it's functioning, let it run until it says toner is "EMPTY" and must be replaced. Once you replace it, if it STILL says Low or Empty, first thing I'd look at would be the toner pump for that color.

Make sure the toner near end threshold has been set to a reasonable value, out of the factory they come at 50 grams, however I usually set them to 10 grams, to get the most out of the bottles.

See: Toner near end message off?

Trusted Tech

Have the bottles been fitted to any other copier? The chip on the bottle stores data on usage but it's only approximate and used as a general guide for displaying the 'toner remaining' bars on the screen and determining when to display the 'toner near end' warning. I'm assuming genuine toner here, if not all bets are off. Btw, if you're at the stage of swapping boards, why not the rfid?

Regardless of what these indications say, an actual toner END condition will not happen until the td sensor determines that it has asked repeatedly for toner and hasn't seen it arrive! It's a nuisance but if you genuinely have full bottles then they could display near end from full to empty.

As ruben says, you can change the threshold at which it displays 'near end' but I don't think that will help if the condition has been written to the chip first.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ayeright View Post
    Regardless of what these indications say, an actual toner END condition will not happen until the td sensor determines that it has asked repeatedly for toner and hasn't seen it arrive! It's a nuisance but if you genuinely have full bottles then they could display near end from full to empty.
    That is only true for the black on this model. For all three colors, there is a sensor just above where the toner supply tube connects to the toner hopper and detects when there is no toner coming out of the bottle.

A defective RF chip on the cartridge or a defective RFID board on those models that use RFID can give a "NO TONER" display. Depleted toner density will give lightly copies first and sometimes give a density sensor SC code. SP 3045-001 can be used to turn off the RFID function when there is a bad chip or RFID board.

Trusted Tech

You're right of course slimslob, I had the black supply in mind when I typed that (and a beer in the other hand)

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ayeright View Post
    You're right of course slimslob, I had the black supply in mind when I typed that (and a beer in the other hand)
    Ba careful that you don't spill any of that beer on your keyboard. It would be a waste of beer.