Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Batman1976's Avatar

MPC3004 Wi/Fi dropping off issue

Hi Techs,

Ricoh MPC3004 that keeps dropping off the clients wi/fi intermittenly. They have a complete wireless enviroment.

I have updated to latested firmware, removed and readded the wi/fi connection.

Have monitored the signal and it appears to be between Fair and Good. Yet the device drops off.

I have advised the customer to move the device nearer the access point, use a LAN ethernet connection and to also install a bridge to improve connection but to no avail.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys

Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

Re: MPC3004 Wi/Fi dropping off issue

If the problem is not related to authentication problems and not dependet on low wlan signal strength, then check the wlan envornment with a smartphone and the wifi analyzer app (free).
    Interference and too many WLANs on same channel cause interferences. Check the signal strength from the client sides to the RICOH, whether that is sufficient. For better WLAN performance you should think about the WIFI option for the mpc. There are of course also other possibilities.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

1. RICOH --LAN (DLAN)----> --(DLAN)LAN I/F ---> (((WLAN AP/Repeater))) <---- WIFI PCs,Smartphones etc. or
    2. RICOH --WIFI---> (((WLAN AP/Repeater))) <---- WIFI PCs,Smartphones etc.

I install an DLAN powerline adapter, if possible and it's ok for the customer, to connect the RICOH to the Access Point. I would always prefer a ethernet cable attached RIcoh machine, DLAN is a option.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Regardless of the MFP model, Ricoh's built in WiFi interface is an expensive piece of garbage. There are numerous external devices that can be used that cost under $100. Just search wireless here on CTN.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Regardless of the MFP model, Ricoh's built in WiFi interface is an expensive piece of garbage. There are numerous external devices that can be used that cost under $100. Just search wireless here on CTN.
    Slimslob is 100% correct.

The Ricoh wireless is. for all intents and purposes, useless.

I have found that anything below 80% signal strength, even momentarily, will cause problems, even when PCs, Smartphones, and tablets are totally happy with it.

Too many other good solutions out there to have to contend with such nonsense.

BTW... If the MFP is set up with @Remote, your chances of getting "I fell off the network" calls placed are extremely high, if not guaranteed.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

We use one of these, a lot cheaper option, the range is excellent & easy to set up too.

https://www.apple.com/uk/airport-express/
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk