Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP C3002 adf skewing

I have a mp c3002 that is skewing the pages slightly while passing through the adf single sided. Copies are fine from the glass but for the life of me i cannot get this to not skew and it is very frustrating.

Obviously i believe that either rollers are not cleaned properly, or something is in the paper path ever so slightly, but I have done my due diligence on that end of things. I have cleaned all rollers in the adf thoroughly and replace paper feed belt and reverse roller as well. Then i completely switched the whole document feeder with another one, did the same (clean rollers, replaced pf belt, etc.) and the dang thing is still pulling in papers slightly crooked. I have messed around with the skew adjustment in sp 6-***-*** but nothing seems to be helping this.

Customer has a document with borders right on the edge of the printable area, so when he copies it, if it skews even a little he loses one of the borders and he cannot have that. Anything helps! Thanks!

Re: MP C3002 adf skewing

Depending on the severity of the skew, there could be a number of different causes.

1. Scanner section may have dropped, this can cause skew on main glass as well, but if it is just a slight drop it won't be apparent.
    2. DF hinge is broken.
    3. Screw holding the DF to the main machine are not tight enough.
    4. White plate above the slit glass (underside of the DF) is bent, or otherwise out of position.
    5. Grey feed rollers has come loose from their shaft. (This is extremely rare, but does happen).
    6. A piece of paper / paperclip / other may be stuck inside the paper path, just enough to catch the corner of the paper.

If you can, get a test pattern from System SP4-807-001 (SBU Test Pattern Change), this allows you to do a main and sub scan test pattern. Or, go to Printer SP1-1103-002, for a generic test pattern. Copy either in LEF, then measure the offset. It would be best to mark the feed direction on both samples, and post them here.

Did you adjust the paper buckle, in SP6-006-005 & 6, and SP6-130 ?

Technician
    MP C3002 adf skewing

My money is on 1) - scanner front left corner is sagging. Customers have a bad habit resting weight of their body's on top of document feeder while waiting for copies to come out. This will cause it. I had success fixing it by just simply pulling this corner of the scanner straight up. Make sure to return all adjustments made to the original values.

Is there black plastic arms below the original table? They can become dislodged and cause jamming skewing etc. Remove these arms as they are just bad design.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruben View Post
    Depending on the severity of the skew, there could be a number of different causes.

1. Scanner section may have dropped, this can cause skew on main glass as well, but if it is just a slight drop it won't be apparent.
    2. DF hinge is broken.
    3. Screw holding the DF to the main machine are not tight enough.
    4. White plate above the slit glass (underside of the DF) is bent, or otherwise out of position.
    5. Grey feed rollers has come loose from their shaft. (This is extremely rare, but does happen).
    6. A piece of paper / paperclip / other may be stuck inside the paper path, just enough to catch the corner of the paper.

If you can, get a test pattern from System SP4-807-001 (SBU Test Pattern Change), this allows you to do a main and sub scan test pattern. Or, go to Printer SP1-1103-002, for a generic test pattern. Copy either in LEF, then measure the offset. It would be best to mark the feed direction on both samples, and post them here.

Did you adjust the paper buckle, in SP6-006-005 & 6, and SP6-130 ?
    Thank you so much...i will try this when i head there and let you guys know what i found!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

sorry it took me awhile to get back! some progress but the problem still persist. I lifted up the scanner and that seemed to help a bit. I eliminated anything with the adf because i replaced that.

NEW FINDING...i may have been looking in the wrong place though or have been misleading. Upon further examination, just from the GLASS it is skewing. but now i notice it is not so much skewing as it is shrinking the bottom of the page, like an hour glass. Picture a page landscape orientation with borders all around the page 1/2 inch away from the edge of the paper. In the top left and right of the page, the borders would be 1/2" away. However the bottom left and right would be closer to 3/4" away.

Has anyone run into this before? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Ottawatech's Avatar

Print out a test pattern - System SP2109-003 - 14 - Trimming Area.

Does it look OK with straight lines all around?
    Nothing works quite so well that I can't totally disable it by trying to make it a little better.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

Look in the service manual for trapezoid adjustment. I remembered the old days on those savin 2535 / 3545.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

i can't really print that out because the customer is a little bit away but the prints all seemed to be fine. Just the copying seems bad.

ok i will look for that adjustment kannuki2, thanks!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I have spent hours on this Doc Feeder problem also with no luck. Swap out the feeder and all was good. No amount of tweaking or bending helped.