Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

Re: MPC 4502 Jam code 19

I had a similar problem with a apollon mpc5000. Machine jams at full-coverage printing.
    So I had solved it in my case with: SP 2103-1 to 4,2 & Printer SP 1001 bit 7 (1 enable).
    **Printer SP 1001 bit 7: [RPCS,PCL]: Printable area frame border, 0: Disable, 1: Enable
    Enable: The machine prints all RPCS and PCL jobs with a border on the edges of the
    printable area.**
    But this must still be checked and adjusted first (check the sm for default values) ---> 2103 from 001 to 010[Erase Margin Adjustment]

Senior Technician 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Bearing in mind these things are an office black to colour MFP, they should only rarely (never) do full bleed colour, especially duplexed. Change the fusing exit guide, exit motor and use Thick 3 for the print setting regardless of what you're feeding through it.

The motor was a modified part a while back.
    Setting the paper tray on thick paper 2 setting worked, the only issue is that they can't do duplex as the "thickness" of the paper disables duplex. I don't understand how Ricoh can put engineers and end users in such a terrible situation. The only way to get this machine to print full colour pictures(It won't even print one) is to set the paper tray to a thick setting, which slows the machine down and disables duplex. This is the reason I prefer to work on Canons, they know how to make a fuser! I will check the firmware levels etc but I would have thought there might have been a tech bulletin on this issue if so many people have had it.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Copierdocisleofman View Post
    Setting the paper tray on thick paper 2 setting worked, the only issue is that they can't do duplex as the "thickness" of the paper disables duplex. I don't understand how Ricoh can put engineers and end users in such a terrible situation. The only way to get this machine to print full colour pictures(It won't even print one) is to set the paper tray to a thick setting, which slows the machine down and disables duplex. This is the reason I prefer to work on Canons, they know how to make a fuser! I will check the firmware levels etc but I would have thought there might have been a tech bulletin on this issue if so many people have had it.
    Complaining that an office color machine doesn't have production features is like complaining your car doesn't fly. Having said that the newest version of this machine does have a higher paper weight tolerance for duplex. It's still not really designed for a lot of full bleed printing.

Hi, I have an MPC4502 that jams with jam code 19 fuser exit sensor jam. The weird thing is it only jams when the customer prints full bleed photos, and then only if the photo has a dark lead edge. You can print normal documents fine. It has recently had a fuser rebuild but it was happening before the rebuild. I'm not sure if the jam is occurring because the machine doesn't see the paper go past the sensor. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
    Have them try printing on oversize paper and see if it jams still. If not then it's probably too much toner close to the edge of the paper. Unless they are already at max paper size they can print on larger paper then cut it down which will give them a true full bleed look.

Senior Technician 50+ Posts

What production features am I asking for? My client just wants to be able to print the odd photo without the piece of sh*te jamming. It needs a new fuser film because when it's been jamming the client has crinkled the fuser film, which is the second one in a few weeks. I am going to have another look at the jamming issue then, but in the meantime it is working ok on thick paper setting on the paper tray. The lead edge is at 5mm, surely that's ample to stop it from jamming, the page gets about 20mm out of the nip before it jams.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC 4502 Jam code 19

What production features am I asking for? My client just wants to be able to print the odd photo without the piece of sh*te jamming. It needs a new fuser film because when it's been jamming the client has crinkled the fuser film, which is the second one in a few weeks. I am going to have another look at the jamming issue then, but in the meantime it is working ok on thick paper setting on the paper tray. The lead edge is at 5mm, surely that's ample to stop it from jamming, the page gets about 20mm out of the nip before it jams.
    Full bleed color is the production feature. 5mm lead edge is not enough to fully release a full bleed copy in time to get to the fusing exit sensor before a is detected. It is not just the lead edge that is sticking, it is the entire document.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

If they want full bleed printing of toner heavy images they will likely have to print on over size paper and cut it down. This is what my employer does with the two C4501s we use for our business.

Another thing you could try is reducing the max toner limit in the printer SPs which would mean less toner being used in images sent to the machine as print jobs. Maybe less toner will mean it sticks less.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

I normally increase the leading edge margin and tell the customer to use A4R (short edge feed) if they insist on doing full coverage prints.

Full bleed, edge-to-edge... forget it that's inkjet territory.
    You always need a decent size leading edge with laser or the fuser just can't cope with it.

I have seen full bleed on 3 out of 4 edges with laser and A3+ with crops marks, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    These are general office machines, full coverage printing isn't the design intent.

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

if it works on 'thick' then the solution might be in the temp and energy saving settings

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC 4502 Jam code 19

Quote Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
    if it works on 'thick' then the solution might be in the temp and energy saving settings
    It works on thick because the machine runs slower and therefore the paper has more time to straighten out and reach the fusing exit sensor before it times out.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

Try a new fusing unit.