Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Technician 50+ Posts

MPC 4502 Jam code 19

Hi, I have an MPC4502 that jams with jam code 19 fuser exit sensor jam. The weird thing is it only jams when the customer prints full bleed photos, and then only if the photo has a dark lead edge. You can print normal documents fine. It has recently had a fuser rebuild but it was happening before the rebuild. I'm not sure if the jam is occurring because the machine doesn't see the paper go past the sensor. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Maybe try a thicker paper size setting as a load of toner could make the pages a little bit thicker? Might help. Check the fuser blades got the springs on either side and that the fuser is screwed in fully on both sides

Re: MPC 4502 Jam code 19

Most probably you a right - there is a photo reflection sensor in paper exit unit, seems it does not detect lead or trail edge of paper when there is image.

Haven't you update firmware? often such types of problems can be solved by software updating. Also you can try to clean/replace the sensor (AW010147 PHOTO REFLECTION SENSOR)

worker drone 250+ Posts

There is a plate on top of the fuser at the exit. It is spring loaded, held on by two shouldered screws and has the two spring steel snap on plates that move it. It is designed to close and help retain fuser heat during idle to give a better TEC (total energy consumption) rating. It is a design joke. Take that plate off and see if it still jams. Some machines seem to be more prone to problems with that gate but it is a very easy try. It really serves no real purpose anyway.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Do you have the reccomended lead edge margin, if yes replace the sensor.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC 4502 Jam code 19

Quote Originally Posted by Copierdocisleofman View Post
    The weird thing is it only jams when the customer prints full bleed photos, and then only if the photo has a dark lead edge. You can print normal documents fine.
    The lead edge is trying to stick to the surface of the fusing sleeve and the stripper plate is not able to release it quickly enough. Try increasing the lead edge void setting.

If the stripper plate was not replaced when the fusing unit was rebuilt, replace it with a new one now. Do not clean it as that will remove its Teflon coating and make matters worse.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MPC 4502 Jam code 19

Quote Originally Posted by Copierdocisleofman View Post
    Hi, I have an MPC4502 that jams with jam code 19 fuser exit sensor jam. The weird thing is it only jams when the customer prints full bleed photos, and then only if the photo has a dark lead edge. You can print normal documents fine. It has recently had a fuser rebuild but it was happening before the rebuild. I'm not sure if the jam is occurring because the machine doesn't see the paper go past the sensor. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
    Is there a white border on the page? if not maybe the paper is sticking just long enuff to the hot roll causing the jam. most time it would wrap on the hot roller.

Senior Technician 50+ Posts

Thanks for all the replies, I have already increased the margin to no avail. Might try taking off gate as suggested, I agree I can't see what real purpose it has. I also have the fuser exit guide on order as that's what it seems to be crashing into.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Bearing in mind these things are an office black to colour MFP, they should only rarely (never) do full bleed colour, especially duplexed. Change the fusing exit guide, exit motor and use Thick 3 for the print setting regardless of what you're feeding through it.

The motor was a modified part a while back.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I had a older color copier that had a problem with full bleed. We told customer to use the LTR R or letter paper running long way in cassette. It give paper a longer lead edge void no more jamming.