Technician

local username and password stop working on PC(scan to folder)- Any Reason why?

Hi Guys..

A question quick..

If setup scan to folder,do get it allot that scan to folder stop working and all i have to do is delete local user scans account or retype password and scans work again..
    Do the pc do a windows update?

Thanx boys

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: local username and password stop working on PC(scan to folder)- Any Reason why?

Quote Originally Posted by ColinLouw View Post
    Hi Guys..

A question quick..

If setup scan to folder,do get it allot that scan to folder stop working and all i have to do is delete local user scans account or retype password and scans work again..

Thanx boys
    i beg you pardon, but i don't understand at all what you are trying to say.

Re: local username and password stop working on PC(scan to folder)- Any Reason why?

but i think you are not a technician.
    Is it?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Is the destination PC set in the MFP address book by its host name, or by IP address? If an IP is used and the computers get their address from DHCP it's possible that the IP address has been given to a different computer. It's also possible that the hostname is set to the generic name that some OEM's use so there are potentially several computers on the network with the same name. It's also possible that the password for the scanning account is set to expire at a certain point.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Firewalls have been known to block SMB (Scan) transmissions which result in Authentication Errors or Transmission Errors in my experience. Make an exception for the particular IP address of the Copier\Scanner.
    I have also found a similar issue, sometimes, when I am trying to use an already shared folder, which by all rights should work. The solution to that is to make a new folder and share it from scratch.

Hope this helps you and anyone else who gives a read.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I regularly encounter where "for some unknown reason" the scan folder is no longer shared. Right click the folder, select Properties, and go thru the sharing steps and permissions. I believe windows updates or virus scans can un-share folders.
    I will do this once as a courtesy for clients. Because this is a network issue, additional calls are billable.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

Check if SMBv1 is disabled from the windows programs and features. It has to be enabled then type the login password.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

In light of recent ransomware being spread by SMB v1 I would have a very serious discussion with the client and/or their IT before just jumping in and re-enabling it.

There are firmware updates / Telnet commands to elevate the SMB versions on Ricoh MFD's.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    local username and password stop working on PC(scan to folder)- Any Reason why?

Quote Originally Posted by SargeNZ View Post
    In light of recent ransomware being spread by SMB v1 I would have a very serious discussion with the client and/or their IT before just jumping in and re-enabling it.

There are firmware updates / Telnet commands to elevate the SMB versions on Ricoh MFD's.
    It might be needed to be elevated to SMB v3. SMB v2 has also been found to be vulnerable to WannaCry.
    https://securelist.com/wannacry-rans...e-world/78351/

Quote Originally Posted by ColinLouw View Post
    Hi Guys..

A question quick..

Thanx boys
    Do you restore the address book with the saved file?