Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: MP 2852 buzzing/grinding noise

Being the good member I am, here's update number one: I took the drum drive unit with me back to the shop and the black gear that comes in contact with the motor has an indentation where the threads are stripped in the exact size of the metal gear shaft of the main motor. It was hard to see in the customer's office, but under a much cleaner, and brighter, light it was pretty obvious. I've ordered a new drum drive unit and should have it tomorrow, if not tonight (great living close to distribution hubs for UPS and FedEx).

I did examine the fuser on my initial visit and the gears on the machine and on the unit were both perfect. I've fought the fuser noise issue before on an MP 2550 so I was able to rule that out pretty quickly. With the rear panels off the machine the source of the noise was painfully obvious.

Once the replacement is in, I'll give a final update.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 2852 buzzing/grinding noise

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Being the good member I am, here's update number one: I took the drum drive unit with me back to the shop and the black gear that comes in contact with the motor has an indentation where the threads are stripped in the exact size of the metal gear shaft of the main motor. It was hard to see in the customer's office, but under a much cleaner, and brighter, light it was pretty obvious.
    I have had to replace 2 of them that got stripped that way by a frozen development unit.

worker drone 250+ Posts

AB010401...someone found the drive breakdown in another catalog and that is the part number for the bad gear if you want to save the old drive unit for the next one that locks up.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Drum drive unit was put in this morning, and the machine started up just as quiet as before. To try and keep this from happening, I've considered turning on the PM alarms for the PCU, but while looking through the manual I found SP 5-067, the Parts PM System Setting, which can be set for Service or customer PCU replacement. Is there any other information on just what this SP allows for? I'm thinking this is something like the customer replaceable developer and drum units that were at one time available for some of the high PPM models for places like print shops and the like, or just a renamed automatic PCU detection.

Did Ricoh publish any information to dealers or direct staff for this SP? I don't see a similar SP in the 2550 or 2551 models, or in the Product Support Guide for the 2852 so it must be something added to later models.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 2852 buzzing/grinding noise

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Drum drive unit was put in this morning, and the machine started up just as quiet as before. To try and keep this from happening, I've considered turning on the PM alarms for the PCU, but while looking through the manual I found SP 5-067, the Parts PM System Setting, which can be set for Service or customer PCU replacement. Is there any other information on just what this SP allows for? I'm thinking this is something like the customer replaceable developer and drum units that were at one time available for some of the high PPM models for places like print shops and the like, or just a renamed automatic PCU detection.

Did Ricoh publish any information to dealers or direct staff for this SP? I don't see a similar SP in the 2550 or 2551 models, or in the Product Support Guide for the 2852 so it must be something added to later models.
    SP 5607 can be set for time and materials customer who want to purchase Type 1027 PCU and replace it themselves. I believe that it turns on the "New PCU detection" switch that the Type 1027 to start development initialization automatically.

On doing PMs on these models, I would recommend keeping a spare lower development unit in stock and take it with you when doing a 60K PM. Before replacing the developer, check the area at the back end of the development unit for evidence of depleted developer. This is an indication that the bushing on the rear end of the transport shafts are starting to go bad and getting ready to bind up the shafts which can cause gears to be stripped. Replacing the lower development case at a PM when you are going to put new developer in saves have to do it later when the gears strip. See TSB B205/B209/D007/D008 – 018.

Just a tech 250+ Posts keithxxiii's Avatar

I often replace those set of gears from the development unit and magnetic roller every 120K. Turns out, the developer contaminates the assembly and damages the gears.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Just use type1027 and avoid all these problems.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

The used PCU's coming from customer in here, will always be referbished in our office.
    The advantage is that you can work in peace on a good hight table while having all the spare parts, time, space and light you need.
    Also, you can look better at broken parts and replace them if needed.
    The price for customer is (much) lower than a new one and higher then just referbishing it at the spot.
    So, when something goes wrong like this tread tells us, you have a financiel backup.
    It's a sort of "insurance"...
    You are more relaxed at customer and the intervention is done much quicker...
    Everybody wins.