Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

1232c jam code 058, misregistration

I have a client that has an old Ricoh color machine that they want us to work on. The machine has pretty decent print quality but jams every 10-15 pages on the right side. The paper is about 2 inches into the fuser. The image is misregistered on the page and the code that is recorded in the jam history is 058.

I have only worked on a handful of Ricohs, but I believe the problem is either a registration clutch or reg sensor. I have told the customer that parts availability is going to be hit or miss.

Can anyone provide input?

Thanks,

Mike

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: 1232c jam code 058, misregistration

They had a habit of clutches failing especially if the machine has been moved
    fuser oil spills down onto the clutches
    faulty reg clutch often causes Z fold in the paper aswell
    The actuator on the registration sensor can wear and also the actuator return spring can go weak
    not sure that parts are available any more
    I Used To Live To Fix Things Now i Fix Things To Live

Technician

I've the reg clutch and actuator cause problems like that on that machine.

Best fix I found was wheel the machine to the top of some stairs, make sure no one is coming up, and push.....

Just wait til you have to change the toner feed! eeeeeek is the best way to describe it....

Technician

This is one of those deals where I am being a nice guy. Customer is a non-profit and this machine was donated to them a year and a half ago. I told them not to get too involved with it since it is already 12-13 years old. We can fix this problem and then another problem comes along and before you know it they have $500 into a machine worth nothing.

If it isn't an easy fix I thing I will recommend a used machine from our inventory.

Mike

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Run away!! and run away real quick!! Who ever gave that turkey to your customer must have really hated them.
    From what I can remember back from the dim distant past is that P/Js and moving registration is mostly caused by oil contaminated clutches. Even the fumes from the oil tank in the back seep into the clutches and cause them to slip.
    Do your customer and the world a favour by burying that sh!tbox but drive a stake through it first just to make sure it doesn't rise again from the dead.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Honestly I wouldn't touch one of these boxes, probably in the top 3 worst machines ever made. If the copies look good now they soon wont. Faulty dev units, pcus that slit transfer belts every 20k, waste boxes that cant be emptied, toner dumps everywhere from the moving dev units, corona cleaner sc codes, cleaning unit clutches fail, paper jams due to poor feed design. I haven't worked on one of these for almost 10 years and I still have flashbacks lol