MP9002 Drum Life expectancy?

Hi Guys. Luckily i only have 1 or 2 of these machines. This one is just coming upto it's first birthday and done 525K. Dev was changed early at 327k and 300k stuff changed also. The drum looks overly worn and i believe it's giving a PQ issue now at the top of A4LEF.. Customer does 95% of jobs SEF and really does not see the image defect. The top inch or 2 of the image is blurry and sometimes after i vacuum out the drum cavity and build up of toner that's caught in the drum assy frame (you know the dusting these do) it gets kinda better but never goes away completely.
    My boss is a little angry as he says it should last 1.2 million according to the Scorpion calculator but nowhere in the machines SP or PM lists does it show 1.2 million for the drum in fact i can't find the PM / Life count for the drum anywhere.. Any thoughts please guys?

Re: MP9002 Drum Life expectancy?

1.2 million on these drums is bullshit. I replace them every other dev change. As the blade wears the drum surface, the image will tend to blur in various sections. It's an OPC surface and doesn't really stand the test of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Ricoh rates them to 1.2 million. That is of course if you are doing the specified number of pages per job and coverage per job. There is no counter in the machine for some stupid reason though. We generally change them when they start causing copy quality issues.

If it's broke it's broke, no getting around that. As far as copier parts go they aren't that expensive especially for a machine this size.

As you can see by the part number they haven't change the drum design in 10+ years.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

well I just changed 1 on a machine that hit 1.5 mil, first drum change on the machine. It's pretty common to see drums go past 1 mil
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

These drums usually go 1.2 mil to 2 mil. Do the dev changes at the 300k pm.
    If you have blurry spots on the copies plug in the heaters, two connectors in the back of the machine, on the power supply.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts tjvincent's Avatar

Typically in summer with high humidity you get blurry copies usually first thing in the morning.
    I would do as Anothertech said and turn the heaters on. We don't have any issues getting the drums to go 1.2 million, developer on the other hand usually gets replaced early

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Here's the third vote for turning the drum heaters on, solves the blurry patch problem. We have lots of these in the field and have no problem with the drums reaching the 1.2 m mark. However we religiously PM them around 350k and always change the toner separator on top of the dev unit at the 350k mark as well. The book say they should do 600k but that is absolute crap as the mylar paddles have disintegrated and the brush has turned into a solid lump of coal by then.
    Pay attention to the filters as if the airflow over the drum is blocked that leads to C/Q problems as well.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

500k with dev change any longer and the shit will hit the fan

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Most of my machines go about 1 million before I start to worry about the drum. That's MOST, not ALL. Also high SEF feeds will obviously lower the page count along with shorter copy runs.

In regards to the toner dusting, replace the lower toner hopper seals - B0653151 & B0653152 (2). I know on the D052 & D062 it was usually the separation case, but on the 9002 we've gotten rid of the dusting replacing these seals. Actually most just replace the larger B0653151 seal. 3 school districts with around 300 units each.