Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ricoh c242 "wrong model"error -- need factory service mode

This printer was locked up showing "internal misfeed" or sometimes sc400. I tried to update firmware via Ethernet but it hung up. After fifteen minutes I turned power off. Now any fw update attempt shows "machine busy".
    The screen of the machine comes up with "wrong model."

I replaced the engine board and Eeprom, tyen initialized the Eeprom.

Ricoh hotline says I must have our Ricoh regional rep out to reprogram the serial number to fix the wrong model error. The last time I needed him out it took about six weeks,so I just don't care to wait.

Yes I have read the manual, which states helpfully "ask your supervisor how to enter special service mode." Unfortunately ricoh hotline feels they're not allowed to just tell me how to do it myself.

Anyway help is appreciated -- entering special service mode or some other fix if that's not the real solution.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh c242 "wrong model"error -- need factory service mode

There multiple posts with this information. Do a little work on your own and find one.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Screenshot_20170726-160920.jpg

I've been a member here for ten years. I know how to use the search function.
    I've consulted the service manual, my fellow techs, called the hotline, emailed my Ricoh rep, looked in gooses guide, and done multiple searches here.

I've had two emails from my Ricoh regional rep, both of which are wrong, instructing me to hit buttons this machine doesn't have. Please feel free to insult him since he doesn't know how to do it either.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morgansterne View Post
    Screenshot_20170726-160920.jpg

I've been a member here for ten years. I know how to use the search function.
    I've consulted the service manual, my fellow techs, called the hotline, emailed my Ricoh rep, looked in gooses guide, and done multiple searches here.

I've had two emails from my Ricoh regional rep, both of which are wrong, instructing me to hit buttons this machine doesn't have. Please feel free to insult him since he doesn't know how to do it either.
    Your regional rep most likely sent you instructions for getting into factory mode on a MFP. The SP C 242DN is a printer only and does not have a full control panel.

You obviously do not know how to modify your search term to find what you want. The most recent thread with possibly the answer you need was the 8th on my search results. Try again.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I should have specified that mine is the MFP model, SPC242sf.
    My ricoh rep said I need to hit "clear mode 143 hold stop."
    When I reminded him this machine does not have a clear mode button, he says he meant "reset."
    This machine does not have a reset button.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Do Red, 107, Green slowly. It will let you into SP mode. I think what you're looking for is in engine maintenance.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

I really appreciate your help, but I'm looking for "special service" mode, aka "factory service". the 107 code is in the service manual, but it only gets you into a very limited service mode.
    Nevertheless, I do appreciate your input.

Apologies all around, this is day #4 on this machine and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morgansterne View Post
    I really appreciate your help, but I'm looking for "special service" mode, aka "factory service". the 107 code is in the service manual, but it only gets you into a very limited service mode.
    Nevertheless, I do appreciate your input.

Apologies all around, this is day #4 on this machine and I'm getting pretty frustrated.
    Special Service and factory mode are not the same. Special is accessed from the normal SP mode menu by holding the # key while you select System Service. Again let me say it is not factory mode. You want factory mode possibly the same as the SP 4310 from 4 weeks ago. If you can't find it now