Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Windows 10 SMB Scan to Folder MP 2852 Problem

i have Ricoh MP2852 machine i was using it with Windows 7 PC but recently i bought a new PC with Windows 10
    and now i cant do scan to SMB
    any one could help me please ???

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Re: Windows 10 SMB Scan to Folder MP 2852 Problem

What have you done so far?

Create a folder in the C:/ & share it with full read/write permissions

Make sure print & file sharing is turned on (in Win 10 this is off by default)

From the copier address book you should be able to browse your network, locate your Win 10 PC, long in & choose the folder you created.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

i already done every thing you wrote
    My friend told me that i have to update network support firmware
    i googled the firmware but i didn't find it yet

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If it worked on Win7, the firmware is probably OK. That's not a definite, but I'm guessing you don't have access to firmware.

Go to 'Networks Settings' / 'Change Advanced Sharing Options'. Select the 'All Networks' option (I go thru each option, but the 'All Networks' has extra settings that you need to change)

The setting that usually gets missed is to enable sharing for 40 & 56 bit encryption.

Yes that is true about the firmware, it is a known issue on Ricoh models.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The network support firmware need to be at least v 10.68 in order to scan to Windows 6 or later, Server 2012 or later ans MAC OS X 10.7 or later. System/Copy firmware must also be updated to v 1.08.

I would suggest that you hire an experienced tech to do the update. One mistake and you could render the entire machine inoperative.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Definitely let a trained technician do the firmware upgrade. Right now the only firmware updates available are for supporting Windows 8 and Server 2012 which use the same version of SMB that Windows 10 uses, but all Ricoh MFP's with a few exceptions rely on a very old version of the file sharing protocol to work, SMB1. Microsoft is going to be removing this protocol in newer versions of Windows 10 because it is no longer secure. This is the same protocol that allowed malware like Petya and WannaCry that have been in the news lately to work. Several updates have also been issued to patch this issue in Windows, but those patches have also affected scanning for some users.

Ricoh apparently is scrambling to find a way to upgrade firmware to allow devices to no longer rely on SMB1, but it may also require upgrading the entire underlying operating system for many models. At this point, who knows what models will be updated, if any at all.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Definitely let a trained technician do the firmware upgrade. Right now the only firmware updates available are for supporting Windows 8 and Server 2012 which use the same version of SMB that Windows 10 uses, but all Ricoh MFP's with a few exceptions rely on a very old version of the file sharing protocol to work, SMB1. Microsoft is going to be removing this protocol in newer versions of Windows 10 because it is no longer secure. This is the same protocol that allowed malware like Petya and WannaCry that have been in the news lately to work. Several updates have also been issued to patch this issue in Windows, but those patches have also affected scanning for some users.

Ricoh apparently is scrambling to find a way to upgrade firmware to allow devices to no longer rely on SMB1, but it may also require upgrading the entire underlying operating system for many models. At this point, who knows what models will be updated, if any at all.
    The truth is that SMB 2 and SMB 3 are also vulnerable to WannaCry on unpatched systems. Properly configured hardware fire walls will allow LAN access to SMB ports but block WAN access. Also Server 2012 and later will block all access from outside the local sub net mask and from devices not on the domain. Devices on the domain must access by device name and not IP address. This was implemented about 1 year ago. Had fun at the start of the last school year with a couple of my schools from this.

Microsoft is merely turning SMB1 off in the registry. There are other threads covering this and also how to telnet into Ricoh and modify SAMBA to look more like SMB 3 and less like SMB1.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The truth is that SMB 2 and SMB 3 are also vulnerable to WannaCry on unpatched systems. Properly configured hardware fire walls will allow LAN access to SMB ports but block WAN access. Also Server 2012 and later will block all access from outside the local sub net mask and from devices not on the domain. Devices on the domain must access by device name and not IP address. This was implemented about 1 year ago. Had fun at the start of the last school year with a couple of my schools from this.

Microsoft is merely turning SMB1 off in the registry. There are other threads covering this and also how to telnet into Ricoh and modify SAMBA to look more like SMB 3 and less like SMB1.

Ricoh have recently released firmware to allow SMB support for V2/V3 on the Metis C2 rage with Android panels, apparently this is expected to be rolled out over the rest on the Metis C1 range in due course.

SMB v2 + V3 Support.pdf

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Ricoh have recently released firmware to allow SMB support for V2/V3 on the Metis C2 rage with Android panels, apparently this is expected to be rolled out over the rest on the Metis C1 range in due course.

SMB v2 + V3 Support.pdf

Looks like the information text file that is zipped with the firmware.