Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MP C5000 facsimile button red and says to make sure the paper tray is not overloaded

MP C5000 facsimile button red and says to make sure the paper tray is not overloaded

I have read other threads with a somewhat similar issue but not exactly:

MP C5000
    Copies, Prints and Scans just fine. Did a firmware update already but no go.

The fax button lights up red when you press it

The display says " Make sure the paper tray is not overloaded and the paper is set correctly" (pictures attached)

I have checked and re-checked the paper size, type, etc. and all looks good. Not overloaded of course. Tried switching to tray 2 as the input, no go.

Also, when I try to choose the output area it gives me Internal Tray 1 as an option but there is no internal tray on the machine (maybe there was one on it before and it was removed but not sure, customer bought it used). I cannot press ok and clear the display message but that might be because there is no internal tray on the machine. Not sure why it gives me that option - maybe the machine thinks there is one?

Could the fax board have been zapped? Hate to replace it if that is not it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: MP C5000 facsimile button red and says to make sure the paper tray is not overloa

Check the tray priority for fax. Also it is probably linked to A4R...

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: MP C5000 facsimile button red and says to make sure the paper tray is not overloa

There's something mechanically wrong with one of the trays. Either the paper end sensor has been knocked out or the paper size detection switches aren't working properly. Pull the trays out one by one until the message disappears. That will tell you which tray has the issue.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    I have read other threads with a somewhat similar issue but not exactly:

MP C5000
    Copies, Prints and Scans just fine. Did a firmware update already but no go.

The fax button lights up red when you press it

The display says " Make sure the paper tray is not overloaded and the paper is set correctly" (pictures attached)

I have checked and re-checked the paper size, type, etc. and all looks good. Not overloaded of course. Tried switching to tray 2 as the input, no go.

Also, when I try to choose the output area it gives me Internal Tray 1 as an option but there is no internal tray on the machine (maybe there was one on it before and it was removed but not sure, customer bought it used). I cannot press ok and clear the display message but that might be because there is no internal tray on the machine. Not sure why it gives me that option - maybe the machine thinks there is one?

Could the fax board have been zapped? Hate to replace it if that is not it.
    Patterson70: Check where the paper comes out of the machine. There is a black feeler that is normally tucked into the machine. Pull it towards you, so that it hangs down, towards the area where the prints lay once they exit the machine.

Lift the lever once or twice and see if the error clears.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Internal tray 1 is where all the prints come out.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

Take all the paper out from tray 1,2, 3 and 4 and shut down the machine with pressing power save button.
    When the button is no longer blinking anymore power off the machine by power switch.
    Start the machine now without paper in trays. Check in Copy mode the tray symbols and status are correct(red for paper empty or insert paper).
    Insert after that one by one the paper to the trays.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Thank you for the suggestions and for any more anyone can think of. I will go out tomorrow and give them a try. Of course, what is weird is that it copies and prints and scans with no red light coming on or other issue, just the fax!

But from previous threads that had mentioned other (somewhat related) issues, there is something weird going on with the fax circuitry.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

I had this EXACT problem on a c5502. All paper trays functioned correctly with copying and printing, just that indication with fax function. I updated the firmware, no joy. I ended up clearing the fax ram, reinput there fax data and assigned another tray for fax priority. That was 2 months ago, and the issue has not returned.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patterson70 View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions and for any more anyone can think of. I will go out tomorrow and give them a try. Of course, what is weird is that it copies and prints and scans with no red light coming on or other issue, just the fax!

But from previous threads that had mentioned other (somewhat related) issues, there is something weird going on with the fax circuitry.
    Try FAX SP 5102 Erases all files stored in the SAF memory.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

Found this docu in tier2...