Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

MP C3300 shading and blurry.

The machine was moved from another state about 2 years ago and we took over maint. on it. Twice, with the second time being last year, we found aftermarket toner in it and made them pay for damage. It has a total of about 318,000 on it. Last December it got a new black PCU. In April it got a new dv box and developer. There has been less than 9,000 put on it since the drum change. I did neither of these changes.

The issue is with black

Last week I was delivering toner and customer made mention that she had smudges. They looked like someone touched the paper with toner on their fingers. I pull the black pcu and found toner piled up next to the drum. I cleaned it off and tested. She called in today with background shading and light and dark areas. The dark areas look overtoned. The letters look like they are bleeding. Then maybe an inch in up or down and they are perfect. The "overtoned" letters show up on the drum and I can see the "fingerprint" smudges on the drum also. There is no repeat pattern to any of it. I ran single shots of the colors and they looked fine. I am rolling the call into tomorrow so the tech that did the most work on it can get involved. Wanted to see if anyone had any input.

The sample the customer showed me had 1 band or area where the text was so light you can hardly see it. All of my samples go from normal text to almost blurry letters. Nothing too light.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    MP C3300 shading and blurry.

Re: MP C3300 shading and blurry.

Quote Originally Posted by fixthecopier View Post
    The machine was moved from another state about 2 years ago and we took over maint. on it. Twice, with the second time being last year, we found aftermarket toner in it and made them pay for damage. It has a total of about 318,000 on it. Last December it got a new black PCU. In April it got a new dv box and developer. There has been less than 9,000 put on it since the drum change. I did neither of these changes.

The issue is with black

Last week I was delivering toner and customer made mention that she had smudges. They looked like someone touched the paper with toner on their fingers. I pull the black pcu and found toner piled up next to the drum. I cleaned it off and tested. She called in today with background shading and light and dark areas. The dark areas look overtoned. The letters look like they are bleeding. Then maybe an inch in up or down and they are perfect. The "overtoned" letters show up on the drum and I can see the "fingerprint" smudges on the drum also. There is no repeat pattern to any of it. I ran single shots of the colors and they looked fine. I am rolling the call into tomorrow so the tech that did the most work on it can get involved. Wanted to see if anyone had any input.

The sample the customer showed me had 1 band or area where the text was so light you can hardly see it. All of my samples go from normal text to almost blurry letters. Nothing too light.
    sounds like the off brand toner or could be a fuser... DAMN I hate cheap people using off brand toners!

ALIEN OVERLORD 2,500+ Posts fixthecopier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    sounds like the off brand toner or could be a fuser... DAMN I hate cheap people using off brand toners!

We had cleaned their system out and got them back on the oem stuff. It can't be the fuser because I can see it on the drum. I am almost sure that if I changed the drum the problem would clean up. Then, I would most likely have the same issue again in a few months. The biggest isssue for me is that I wasn't the one who changed any of the parts. I reviewed the SMC and nothing jumped out at me.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge isn't ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. Stephen Hawking

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Take a look at the drum-earth, had one on a MPC 4500 which was completly damaged, prints & copies lokk like sh... Other posibility is the black dev-clutch.
    Greetings...