Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

MP 3554 fuser life

Just curious to know what you guys are doing when you get the end of life for the fuser belt on this series. I have on that just popped and, I gotta tell ya, this fusing belt still looks great. I'm tempted to clear the counter and see what it will realistically go before failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 3554 fuser life

Re: MP 3554 fuser life

Just remember that the PM of PM Tables stands for Preventive Maintenance. The idea is to replace components before they cause customer complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Just remember that the PM of PM Tables stands for Preventive Maintenance. The idea is to replace components before they cause customer complaints.
    Yeah, I get that. But how many of us actually replace the hot roller of a MP 5000 on the 160k pm cycle when it will really go up to a million?

If a fusing belt will go 500k (just laying that out for argument's sake) it seems nonsensical to replace it at 240k.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Yeah I never followed the pm guide line & found out that most of the consumables are up to 3 or times life span as compared to pm cycle, (really not much problem though) like I change the upper roller while the surface scratch & throw a dirty on copies.
    I practice fully utilised & save green concept. Haha

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Qball View Post
    Yeah, I get that. But how many of us actually replace the hot roller of a MP 5000 on the 160k pm cycle when it will really go up to a million?

If a fusing belt will go 500k (just laying that out for argument's sake) it seems nonsensical to replace it at 240k.

Something to keep in mind is that the older hot rollers were solid aluminum with a non stick coating, and would generally work until the coating peeled off and started leaving marks on the paper.

These new heating sleeves are thinner than beer cans and when they fail they tend to shred. So instead of a customer with a machine that works but leaves some marks you have a machine that is completely down until you can get there with the parts to fix it.

So you have to weigh the cost savings vs angry customers. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get an extra 10 or 20% life out of them, especially at locations where they are used in longer runs vs many short runs.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

I replace the sleeve when I see jam code 19 on smc report.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    MP 3554 fuser life

Just changed a sleeve two days ago. It hit it's "expected lifetime" some time ago, and another tech went and reset the counter, and it lasted another 150,000 before the customer noticed some minor streaking on heavier stock. These fusers are work-horses, and I don't fear "complete failure" after resetting count. I say Reset away!!