Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ricoh MP c6502 cannot update firmware

Placed sd card on slot 2 with package folder. Turned on copier with side door open. After booting it goes straight into normal mode (copy scanner icons). When entering sp mode (also tried sp mode factory and special service mode) the firmware update tab is misisng. I reformatted the sd card and backed up the nvram and address book with no issues. Reformatted sd card copied over the package folder. NG. Also looked for SP5-886-001, but cannot find.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP c6502 cannot update firmware

Try updating using individual firmware files instead of package.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Either the package firmware file is corrupted, the SD card is defective, or the directory structure on the SD card is not correct.

Due to the length of time necessary for the package firmware to download, possibility of corruption is greater than with individual firmware modules.

Try reformatting the SD card with the Panasonic SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card format software available on TSRC Utilities. Formatting with Windows format utility does not always produce a usable card. I have found that MiniTool Partition Wizard format also works. It also allows you to reduce the partition size. Comes in handy when you need to update an older model that requires a 1GB or smaller SD card.

On the .zip file the firmware was downloaded in, there is a pdf file that has the instructions as to directory structure. Bottom of page 10.

As sturmtrooper said, try using individual modules. Package does not contain peripheral firmware. Package does not always contain latest firmware, it can take a week or more after a module update is released before a package containing it is released. Package replaces those modules that are not the same version on the one in the package. It does not detect or refresh corrupted firmware that is current.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Either the package firmware file is corrupted, the SD card is defective, or the directory structure on the SD card is not correct.

Due to the length of time necessary for the package firmware to download, possibility of corruption is greater than with individual firmware modules.

Try reformatting the SD card with the Panasonic SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card format software available on TSRC Utilities. Formatting with Windows format utility does not always produce a usable card. I have found that MiniTool Partition Wizard format also works. It also allows you to reduce the partition size. Comes in handy when you need to update an older model that requires a 1GB or smaller SD card.

On the .zip file the firmware was downloaded in, there is a pdf file that has the instructions as to directory structure. Bottom of page 10.

As sturmtrooper said, try using individual modules. Package does not contain peripheral firmware. Package does not always contain latest firmware, it can take a week or more after a module update is released before a package containing it is released. Package replaces those modules that are not the same version on the one in the package. It does not detect or refresh corrupted firmware that is current.
    I have used this package before without issues. I will try individual module updates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

What size SD card are you using? I just tried an update on an '02 series, didn't recognise the 128mb card but worked happily with a 450mb. Also get upset with cards over 2 gig.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts gregoriojc's Avatar

Cool Re: Ricoh MP c6502 cannot update firmware

So it means the machine did not recognize the sd card or the fw are not in correct folder or correct file type
    which folder did you put the firmware and what is file extensions.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gregoriojc View Post
    So it means the machine did not recognize the sd card or the fw are not in correct folder or correct file type
    which folder did you put the firmware and what is file extensions.
    d1365480y.pkg file. Formatted sd card using Panasonic sd formatter. Created folder and named it package. Put file inside folder..
    I have done this before with a mpc8002 and another 6502.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I'm going to try individual models today. Will keep you posted

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jtymabel View Post
    I'm going to try individual models today. Will keep you posted

Maybe someone has disabled firmware update or the SD card slot. You should be able to check this through WIM.

Quote Originally Posted by terramobil View Post
    If all attempts fail, you can try to update firmware via WIM using the .rfu files. This takes awfully long, but it should work.

Individual modules worked just fine. First time this happens to me.

thanks for the replies.