Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP 201 Toner Supply Shaft/Spring Jammed

This is about the third time i have run into this issue...with each time resulting in switching out the machine and making the previous one a parts machine.

The issue is the thing that turns the toner bottle gets jammed, like the spring gets compressed all the way and gets stuck somehow and it no longer springs forward to allow the supply shaft to engage with the toner bottle. I have no clue how it would be getting stuck like that in the first place and worst off i have no clue how to get it unstuck without snapping something.

I take the snap ring off of the end of the supply shaft like you would normally do to remove it but it is to jammed it will not come free of the toner spring clutch.

Any idea why this is happening and how to replace it without damaging the clutch?

Numbers 3 & 4, clutch 5, snap ring 21Toner Supply Shaft.pdf

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MP 201 Toner Supply Shaft/Spring Jammed

Re: MP 201 Toner Supply Shaft/Spring Jammed

Toner/developer can work its way between the shaft and clutch or the shaft and the plastic frame, item 34. You will need to use a pin punch, slightly smaller in diameter that the shaft to drive it out. Do so carefully otherwise you might break the frame. After you drive it out, clean the hole in the frame and clean or replace the clutch. Remove and clean might be something to do when you preform a PM service.

Since you have ones that have been retired to being parts machines, you might want to practice on them.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Been covered before:

MP171 add toner message and not turning bottle

DO NOT push it from rear to front, if the clutch holder part of the frame snaps off the unit really is a parts machine.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I believe there is a video nugget about this on ricoh website

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post
    This is about the third time i have run into this issue...with each time resulting in switching out the machine and making the previous one a parts machine.

The issue is the thing that turns the toner bottle gets jammed, like the spring gets compressed all the way and gets stuck somehow and it no longer springs forward to allow the supply shaft to engage with the toner bottle. I have no clue how it would be getting stuck like that in the first place and worst off i have no clue how to get it unstuck without snapping something.

I take the snap ring off of the end of the supply shaft like you would normally do to remove it but it is to jammed it will not come free of the toner spring clutch.

Any idea why this is happening and how to replace it without damaging the clutch?

Numbers 3 & 4, clutch 5, snap ring 21Toner Supply Shaft.pdf
    What also happens sometimes, is the customer forces the wrong toner bottle into the machine. Because the base of the bottle is model specific, there is then too much stress on the bottle shaft, which cannot turn when the toner supply clutch is engaged. This causes the toner supply shaft (which has a flat side on it, so that the clutch can drive it) twists part the flat side inside the clutch housing. The shaft is now stuck and cannot move with the pressure of the spring as before.

Removing this condition will take plenty patience and effort...
    Press the GREEN button!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Been covered before:

MP171 add toner message and not turning bottle

DO NOT push it from rear to front, if the clutch holder part of the frame snaps off the unit really is a parts machine.
    Thanks man i will give it ago...yes that is exactly what i did with the last ones, rear to front, ill try not to break this one

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts GhostInTheMachine's Avatar

This has happened to me also. I have glued the broken pieces of the frame back together using JB Weld on 3 or 4 of these. Never had another issue after that so it seems to work ok.