Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

User counters without codes?

Is this possible? At the moment we have all users using a unique code via locked print to monitor usage however this is proving unpopular with users and fairly admin intensive in terms of getting the codes into print drivers.

Can the machine be setup so that users still have a code in their printer driver but print jobs just send to the machine and print without the need of a code being used to print them out (yet these print jobs are still logged under their counter)?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: User counters without codes?

Unless already done, set up user codes in the address book and user authentication for printing. With the print driver open printing preferences. On the valid access tab enter the user code.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

make sure user authentication is on and control print is enable. go to user tools/system settings/administrator tools/ user authentication management/ Select user code auth then select functions that you want to control there is copy/printer/fax/scan/doc server. after that make sure you have set up address book with there codes and what functions they will use with this codes. then put there codes in the print driver for each computer.

You can also create a pop up driver using ricoh print driver packager nx found in the printer driver section website. so when computer prints a pop up window shows up and you enter code then it prints document

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COPIERMAN View Post
    You can also create a pop up driver using ricoh print driver packager nx found in the printer driver section website. so when computer prints a pop up window shows up and you enter code then it prints document
    Print Driver Packager NX is intended for large corporate networks. Print Driver Editor is much smaller and therefore faster to download. It is also easier to use. Though it is not available through Ricoh, it can be downloaded from Softpedia. Download Ricoh Printer Driver Editor 1.0.1.2 for Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 2008, Windows 7

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for the reply all, still trying to get my head around this...

At the moment for user authentication we have user code set with all options checked i.e printing (colour/mono), scanning etc.

Should I be changing this?

I was also curious about the user authentication exception list? If I allowed through relevant IP subnets but the users still had the code in their printer driver, would the print job still be counted against that user?

If i understand you right. you have print set so that a user code has to be used. So one way to verify is not have a code in the print driver and send a job to copier will see data light come on but nothing will print out. that will tell you copier is properly setup.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by COPIERMAN View Post
    If i understand you right. you have print set so that a user code has to be used. So one way to verify is not have a code in the print driver and send a job to copier will see data light come on but nothing will print out. that will tell you copier is properly setup.
    Yes that is correct however that doesn't help as without the code it won't print and with the code in the printer driver you still need to unlock the print at the device?

Went back and read original post are you using lock print. Reason for this so that print job won't print out until you go to copier and unlock it. This feature is not for tracking print counts. Thats were in print driver that user code is for to tracking prints per user. So here is my suggestion put user code in print driver so it will track prints. Then put print driver back to normal instead of lock print. Now will print with out putting code at copier. If you need lock print you can do that to and will track prints cause you have a user code also in driver

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawTorn View Post
    I was also curious about the user authentication exception list? If I allowed through relevant IP subnets but the users still had the code in their printer driver, would the print job still be counted against that user?
    The authentication list is primarily for use when you have network server such as a hospital IS mainframe that uses drivers that do not provide the ability to enter user codes.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Ottawatech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Print Driver Packager NX is intended for large corporate networks. Print Driver Editor is much smaller and therefore faster to download. It is also easier to use.
    It should be noted that Print Driver Editor only works on PCL5 drivers, NX for PCL6.
    Nothing works quite so well that I can't totally disable it by trying to make it a little better.