Just got back from a call today for Jam Code 41. Much has been written about this error. The Service Manual calls it a "Main Scan Printing Jam", but the description of the error says "The machine detected an overload on the Horizontal Motor during printing, caused by an obstruction in the paper path (torn or wrinkled paper)." Normally replacing the Encoder Strip (D1242057) will resolve this error; if it is scratched it needs replaced. However, today that did not resolve the problem.
Both the DRESS (Positioning) and Horizontal Encoder Sensors were removed and cleaned but again the problem was unresolved. Even without paper loaded, the machine would not complete a "self check" successfully without showing the jam code. After talking to Ricoh Tech Support it looked like the best bet was to replace the DRESS and Horizontal Encoder Sensors. However, I decided to take another look at the machine and noticed there was a dry "oily film" on the Guide Rod that the Print Carriage travels along. Even though there did not seem to be any binds in the Print Carriage when it was moved manually along this Guide Rod I decided to clean the "oil film" off. Guess What? The problem was resolved! I don't know when this oil was applied but it is not recommended/needed. Hope this info might help someone down the road.