Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    C4502 line on copies

C4502 line on copies

Hi, All. I have a c4502 with a line ONLY on copies. Prints and internal pages are all fine. I have cleaned the scanner glass, mirrors and lens 3 friggin times because in my mind it's the only thing that can be causing the issue. Same exact problem when laying it on the glass or using the adf. I have a set of mirrors and an entire lens/ccd assembly with me when I go back tomorrow. Could it be something I am missing? K pdcu is at 17%, although the good prints tell me that is not the issue. The example scan is from a copy I made of the printing sheet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mikadonovan; 10-16-2017 at 08:26 PM. Reason: additional info
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    C4502 line on copies

Re: C4502 line on copies

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Hi, All. I have a c4502 with a line ONLY on copies. Prints and internal pages are all fine. I have cleaned the scanner glass, mirrors and lens 3 friggin times because in my mind it's the only thing that can be causing the issue. Same exact problem when laying it on the glass or using the adf. I have a set of mirrors and an entire lens/ccd assembly with me when I go back tomorrow. Could it be something I am missing? K pdcu is at 17%, although the good prints tell me that is not the issue.
    what are you using to clean the glass with? are you sure nothing is on the mirrors ? sounds like you have missed something.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Clean optics again, this is the only solution

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    C4502 line on copies

Do they scan/copy a lot from ADF? We have a c4502 at our local probation office, and they do A TON of scanning. A few months ago I had to replace the ADF glass, because their glass was etched all to hell by the paper. I cleaned everything (optics/glass, etc..), and still had a small line. Swapped the glass, and line went away.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

you said makes line when coping through ADF or off platen glass but printing is fine. That would indicate something in optics. Some small spot that is not coming off. Must have some kind of glue on it. Have you tried brillianize to clean optics.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    C4502 line on copies

Quote Originally Posted by COPIERMAN View Post
    you said makes line when coping through ADF or off platen glass but printing is fine. That would indicate something in optics. Some small spot that is not coming off. Must have some kind of glue on it. Have you tried brillianize to clean optics.
    A speck on a mirror would not go the full scanned width. As the scanner moves out, the optical path on the mirrors changes. If they are getting the line off the platen glass, it could be a hair or some other filament on the first mirror.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

slimslob your write on that, would have to be length of optics scan image to show all the way across copy. I miss spoke on that.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Hi, All. I have a c4502 with a line ONLY on copies. Prints and internal pages are all fine. I have cleaned the scanner glass, mirrors and lens 3 friggin times because in my mind it's the only thing that can be causing the issue. Same exact problem when laying it on the glass or using the adf. I have a set of mirrors and an entire lens/ccd assembly with me when I go back tomorrow. Could it be something I am missing? K pdcu is at 17%, although the good prints tell me that is not the issue. The example scan is from a copy I made of the printing sheet.
    Hi mikadonovan

This may sound stupid, but remove the left cover (the one to the right of the slit glass) and carefully check the white plate for gunk on it. Do the same with the area where the white plate sits. Check both sides of the glass. The tiniest speck of dirt will upset the machine when it does white shading, and the grazy lines will follow.

Have come across this many times before.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    C4502 line on copies

Thanks for all the input, problem is resolved. I had to clean the optics 5 more times with alcohol to alleviate the issue. I got to a point where the line was moving, so I knew I was effecting changes by cleaning the mirrors. I never did see what it was, on the mirrors or my cleaning cloth. I suspect a small bit of clear sticky stuff I was just moving around, like adhesive as copierman suggested. Everyone have a great day.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING