Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printable area

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Printable area

Guys. When printing a full bleed edge to edge colour copy, the default blank area, is there any way to alter the void/blank area/margin ? I tried the printer service mode sp1-001 ' Prints all RPCS and PCL jobs with a border around the printable area - enable' adjustment, and the margin is no different from the default. Any other way of increasing the margin ? This issue has to do with full full colour copies jamming in the likes of mpc5000's and mpc2500's and I wanted to try a larger blank area to see if that helps.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Printable area

Re: Printable area

I'm not an expert in the area, but I do have a couple of questions / suggestions:
    How much of this type of printing you/ they are doing, because these machines aren't designed to run 100% coverage in large quantity
    Also, Are you using Genuine or compatible toner, and what's the condition of the fusers? Replacing the Oil and cleaning roller in the C2500 will almost certainly help.
    Lastly, I'd suggest that you'll probably have the best luck running that type of job SEF as there will be less paper curl

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Printable area

SP 2103 Margin Erase. Default values are 2mm for left and right sides and 4.2mm for lead and trail edge.

If you are running full bleed, I would not change the lead edge erase. It will cause the lead edge of the paper to stick to the fusing belt/sleeve/roller and jam. If you are doing duplex, do not change the trail edge as that will cause the paper to stick to the pressure roller and jam.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

How much of this type of printing you/ they are doing, because these machines aren't designed to run 100% coverage in large quantity
    Also, Are you using Genuine or compatible toner, and what's the condition of the fusers? Replacing the Oil and cleaning roller in the C2500 will almost certainly help
    These machines are sold to internet cafes for their customers to print on. Wether its one single copy or multiple, you cannot tell the owners that its not designed to do that, it just has to do it for their customers otherwise they seriously gripe. Toner, compatibles, but that is not within our control as techs, it is done by the bosses and we have no say in it. Everyone wants to skimp on costs. We just have to make the best of the situation in front of us and make the machine 'work' using whatever knowledge we have. Condition of fusers, seen better times, but the oil roller was also my thought to do.

I would not change the lead edge erase. It will cause the lead edge of the paper to stick to the fusing belt/sleeve/roller and jam
    I would have thought that increasing the lead edge erase is better for the lead edge to peel away and less jamming. Thats what I'm trying to do. Thanks both for the input.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Printable area

Replace the fuser sleeves that is your main issue!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

on this model for full bleed turn paper in cassette landscape direction or letter R. copier will work no matter what they are copying.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    These machines are sold to internet cafes for their customers to print on. Wether its one single copy or multiple, you cannot tell the owners that its not designed to do that, it just has to do it for their customers otherwise they seriously gripe. Toner, compatibles, but that is not within our control as techs, it is done by the bosses and we have no say in it. Everyone wants to skimp on costs. We just have to make the best of the situation in front of us and make the machine 'work' using whatever knowledge we have. Condition of fusers, seen better times, but the oil roller was also my thought to do.

I would have thought that increasing the lead edge erase is better for the lead edge to peel away and less jamming. Thats what I'm trying to do. Thanks both for the input.

That's like saying you can't tell them to not walk through a wall. Some things are just not possible and no measure of screaming, crying, and tantrums will change that.

The absolute BEST you can hope to achieve with any laser copier/printer as regards to edge to edge printing is printing to the edge of the three non leading edges and with a small gap on the leading edge so it doesn't stick to the hot roller. How much gap you need will depend on machine and fuser wear.

If they want real edge to edge printing what they need to do is print on slightly oversized paper and cut the extra off. This is what print shops do.

Do your contracts not include clauses that require use of genuine toner and not third party crap? If they don't they should.

If you think the fuser is in poor shape then the best course is to replace the worn parts and adjust from there.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    Printable area

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    You can increase the lead edge margin up to 9mm. Also considering the age of both the MP C2500 and the MP C5000 you might need to replace the stripper plate. D0294137 for the C5000 and B2384291 for the C2500. These are coated with a thin layer of Teflon. Once the Teflon wears off, toner will stick and cause jamming.

The best solution is to purchase an 03 model with the optional Imageable Area Extension Unit, that way a full image can be printed onto a larger paper size and cropped to fit.

You can adjust all the edges to almost fit, but you will always have a leading blank edge to prevent jams.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Some may have mis-understood when I said full bleed (my mistake in terminology, sorry) , I mean't simply 'A4 full page print' - solid, with the default blank area, as in a solid photo set to print 'full page photo' option, not true edge to edge. These full page prints tend to jam in mpc5000's and mpc2500's fusers a lot.
    Slimslob's answer is what I was looking for, SP2103 margin erase, to vary the printable area up to 9mm. Many thanks for that. Didn't realise that the stripper plates are coated with teflon, very interesting info. I suppose that applies to all mpc's with a stripper plate ? How can you tell if the teflon coating is worn off then ?

To the suggestion of setting thick paper settings when printing, this can be rather impractical, such as an internet cafe that has 15 computers connected to the printer, they cannot instruct each customer to print 'thick paper' setting if they print one type and normal if they print another type. They just want to click on the 'print' and collect their print.