glsinger@glspe.com

Gestetner dsm620d copy and scan size problem

I have a low usage Gestetner dsm620d (same as Ricoh Aficio 202d) that was recently relocated.
    When trying to copy from the doc feeder it detects letter size paper as 5-1/2 X 8-1/2 and requests loading that size. However, letterhead on the flat bed detects correctly.
    The same issue occurs when trying to scan with the scan setting set to automatic. If the scan setting is set to letterhead it works.
    So it appears there is something wrong on the document feeder. I've had this open and checked for debris or dirt, but there must be something I'm missing.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: Gestetner dsm620d copy and scan size problem

Almost always simply caused by dust on the paper size sensors on Original feed table.

glsinger@glspe.com

Would you be good enough to give me some detail as to exactly where these are located?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glsinger@glspe.com View Post
    Would you be good enough to give me some detail as to exactly where these are located?
    AF2020 Original Feed.pdf

glsinger@glspe.com

Sandmanmac- Thanks for your continued input on this. I cleaned the sensors with alcohol swab... but here's the interesting thing I did not realize when I described the issue: I am used to inserting the paper into the doc feeder with the 11" side first (let's call this vertical orientation) and it always detected fine a letter size paper. In that orientation only one sensor is covered by the paper. That is the orientation that is not being detected. If I insert the paper with the 8.5" side first (where more sensors are covered) then it detects properly. Any thoughts?

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glsinger@glspe.com View Post
    Sandmanmac- Thanks for your continued input on this. I cleaned the sensors with alcohol swab... but here's the interesting thing I did not realize when I described the issue: I am used to inserting the paper into the doc feeder with the 11" side first (let's call this vertical orientation) and it always detected fine a letter size paper. In that orientation only one sensor is covered by the paper. That is the orientation that is not being detected. If I insert the paper with the 8.5" side first (where more sensors are covered) then it detects properly. Any thoughts?
    The first sensor, closest to the feed cover merely detects the presence of an original and has nothing to do with paper size. If it is the length that is being detected wrong, disconnected, bad or clouded from cleaning with alcohol.

In case it is a width detection problem, the width detection on these is a slide contact strip under the feed table.

glsinger@glspe.com

Thumbs up Re: Gestetner dsm620d copy and scan size problem

Thanks Slimslob,

The contacts under the table at the slider were dirty and tarnished. Cleaned and burnished them and now the problem is SOLVED!
    Many thanks again.