nwtech

MP 2510 Scan to Email Transmission Error

I am having an issue with scan to email on an old 2510, every time I try to scan it returns immediately with Transmission has failed. To check the current status, press [Scanned Files Status]. Scan status did not give me any information apart from error, however.

I can hit the SMTP server from the machine, and I have confirmed with the email company that the server does not require SSL, but they do not use port 25, they go through 26 instead. I just got off the phone with them, and while it is an exchange server, they didn't think that would require whitelisting the IP as a trusted sender and refused to do so when I asked. Would there be any way to prove to them that this is the case or is there something I've missed from the machine side that could be an issue? I've updated firmware including the special firmware available for Server 2012 compatibility (which fixed this same problem with Scan to Folder). That has me thinking it must be on the exchange server side rather than the machine.

Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: MP 2510 Scan to Email Transmission Error

is the port set for 25 or 26?

nwtech

It is set to port 26. I can connection test fine from interface settings.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nwtech View Post
    I am having an issue with scan to email on an old 2510, every time I try to scan it returns immediately with Transmission has failed. To check the current status, press [Scanned Files Status]. Scan status did not give me any information apart from error, however.

I can hit the SMTP server from the machine, and I have confirmed with the email company that the server does not require SSL, but they do not use port 25, they go through 26 instead. I just got off the phone with them, and while it is an exchange server, they didn't think that would require whitelisting the IP as a trusted sender and refused to do so when I asked. Would there be any way to prove to them that this is the case or is there something I've missed from the machine side that could be an issue? I've updated firmware including the special firmware available for Server 2012 compatibility (which fixed this same problem with Scan to Folder). That has me thinking it must be on the exchange server side rather than the machine.

Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated.
    SMTP2GO is a great go around, easy set up. ( google smtp2go, and select free version) You must use your isp providers email for set up ( cannot use a web based email, like gmail, yahoo, etc)

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Stunnel may be another option since it will allow you to keep a company domain email as opposed to an ISP email domain.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

As soon as it errors, go to User Tools - Interface and print interface settings. Near the bottom of the last page there will be some line containing "SMTP". These will tell you what the actual error is.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I was under the impression that Exchange required TLS....

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    I was under the impression that Exchange required TLS....
    It can be configures with a relay to work on Port 25 without SSL out TLS. There are some restrictions such as only form certain IP addresses or users. Other restrictions can be sending ony a limited of emails a day or only sending the addresses in your domain.

nwtech

Thank you for the help on this one, unfortunately the user decided they didn't want to pay for more troubleshooting and went with scan to folder instead. Which I warned was a major security risk since the 2510 is restricted to SMB1, but that's their call.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I had a similar issue last week. The exchange server required the server domain name first and then back slash, authentication name, in the name field-Not the email address that is usually populated in that field. In this case the port was 587 and the email address and password was also populated just like any other scan to email
    This is the first time I had such a combination but when all was said and done it worked.