Technician

Installation Postscript 3 Unit on Ricoh MP 171 SPF Printer ...

Hi Experts,

I had bought an used Postscript 3 Unid (SD Card) for my Ricoh MP 171 SPF Printer. By this way, I'm not sure whats the right way
    to install the Postscript 3 Files on my Printer. Slot 1 is ocupied of a SD Card with the Copier, Scanner, PCL Firmware Files. Slot 2
    should be used only by VM and Crypt SD Cards?! ...

I suppose, that I must copy some Files (but which Files?) from the Postscript SD Card to the SD Card inserted in Slot 1. Must I
    use a PC with Cardreader to copy the Fiiles? Or by Printer Menue?

Do you can help me? Is there any HowTo available? Thanks in advance!

Best regards from Germany
    Michael

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Installation Postscript 3 Unit on Ricoh MP 171 SPF Printer ...

It should be fine in slot 2. If you get a configuration page off the machine when you've fit the card, make sure it says "Adobe Postscript 3" in Supported Languages at the top of the page.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
    I suppose, that I must copy some Files (but which Files?) from the Postscript SD Card to the SD Card inserted in Slot 1. Must I
    use a PC with Cardreader to copy the Fiiles? Or by Printer Menue?
    DO NOT USE A PC!!! You could render both SD cards unusable.

You have to use SD Card Application Move SP 5873-001. Slot [1] is used for options provided on SD cards. The application SD card (HDD Encryption unit, Overwrite Security Unit or PostScript3) should be installed in Slot 1. If more than one application is to be used, move the applications to the same SD card with SP5873. Due to copyright requirements on PostScript, You will have to move the other SD card to the PS3 card. See the service manual.

See I thought about mentioning that but I had a notion the system card contents would be too large to copy onto the PS3 card.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    See I thought about mentioning that but I had a notion the system card contents would be too large to copy onto the PS3 card.
    VM(JAVA), HDD Encryption unit, Overwrite Security Unit and PostScript3 are the only SD card options. System, Engine and Language are embedded on the controller. Printer/Scanner and Fax are embedded on their respective option PCB.

VM card must be in the #2 SD slot.

I wonder what the hell he's got in slot 1 then? In his original post he says there's a card there. And I did mean printer/scanner card, not system.

Hit it.

Technician

Hi,

I had installed the Postscript SD-Card maybe by an unsual way. I remove the Printer/Scanner SD-Card from Slot 1 and I put the new, used Postscript Card in Slot 1.

Unfortunately the Firmware was very old on this "new" SD-Card. I updated the Firmware on this PS3 Card. The current Firmwarefiles had I saved on a 2nd SD-Card
    and I put this "Update-SD-Card" in Slot 2. It works for me, I can now use the PostScript3 on my Printer.

I'm not sure but I suppose that must be an other way to extend the old Firmware SD-Card (Printer/Scanner) with the new PostScript3 Printer Firmware. A simple Copy
    with a CardReader won't work. You told me I should use the SD Card Copy Tool build into the Ricoh 171 Firmware. But the way was not successful. I've got a Error
    Message. By this way: Can I select the Firmwarefiles? I suppose thats a 1:1 Copy from SD Card Slot 2 to SD Card Slot 1?! ...

Michael