Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    copierman 250+ Posts
    Mpc 5501 printing bold

Mpc 5501 printing bold

Hi all.

I have an mpc 5501 that when printing from cad the lines and text are really bold. They have an mpc 4500 next to it that prints ok. It looks like it's printing in colour but it is not.

I have set the printer default to black and white just in case.

Smc and printer test pages print fine.

I have changed print driver.
    Done a printer memory reset and recalibrate.

I have had a similar issue on an mp201 where it temporarily printed really bold then suddenly was ok.
    Also some emails they printed off were bold swell. Some jobs are ok.

Any ideas or suggestions??
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Mpc 5501 printing bold

Re: Mpc 5501 printing bold

Usually this issue is caused by over toning, so i'd replace the K dev unit especially if its past PM life.

Also worth updating the firmware may be as simple as that.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

copierman 250+ Posts
    Mpc 5501 printing bold

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of firmware. Dev unit has done 50% life but most prints seem ok. Strange issue really.

I will update fw on next job and take dev unit.

Cheers

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

What application are the CAD drawings coming from...AutoCAD, PDF, Powerpoint, Vizio, or a number of CAD reader apps?

All are viable options.

My experience has been that AutoCAD has always been a pain to print from in general, but PostScript normally works best.

Some years back I had a customer with an MP 3260, with the internal print controller (no Fiery) who printed from AutoCAD, using PostScript. They printed tons of electrical and electronic schematics, as it was in their engineering department.

They had an issue where red lines printed orange, no matter what we changed.

Ricoh actually released a firmware patch (don’t remember which one) that addressed that particular issue, and only for that model. Weird.

As a test, have the user save the file in another format, preferably PDF, and try printing that.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

copierman 250+ Posts
    Mpc 5501 printing bold

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    What application are the CAD drawings coming from...AutoCAD, PDF, Powerpoint, Vizio, or a number of CAD reader apps?

All are viable options.

My experience has been that AutoCAD has always been a pain to print from in general, but PostScript normally works best.

Some years back I had a customer with an MP 3260, with the internal print controller (no Fiery) who printed from AutoCAD, using PostScript. They printed tons of electrical and electronic schematics, as it was in their engineering department.

They had an issue where red lines printed orange, no matter what we changed.

Ricoh actually released a firmware patch (don’t remember which one) that addressed that particular issue, and only for that model. Weird.

As a test, have the user save the file in another format, preferably PDF, and try printing that.
    We did that. Changed the file to pdf and got the same result.

Thanks for the response.