Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: MP2553

  1. #1
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP2553

    sandmanmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Power
    70

    MP2553

    I just installed a very low meter, refurbished MP2553 in a customer's office.
    The next day, they reported that faxes were not coming through, and that they had reconnected their other machine and it was receiving them.
    The next morning before visiting them, I decided to call them and have them reconnect the unit, so I could send a couple of test faxes. They went through without issue. I chaulked the issue up to some sort of coinicidental interference on the line the day before, but told them I would go by and check settings, and reset the fax. I did a reset of all bit switches, and a factory reset on the fax unit.

    Next day, the customer gets a call from someone that says they can't send a fax. He connects his old machine and it comes through.
    I've not witnessed it personally, but they tell me that they can hear the fax tone, but nothing is received.
    I looked through bulletins, and did see a few issues with the fax, but none of them seemed related to this issue, and the F/W is pretty current for the related Modules:
    System /Copy: Ver 1.15
    Fax: Ver. 6.0
    GWFCU: Ver. 7.0

    They don't seem to have any issues sending faxes.
    I'm at a real loss on this one.
    I'm considering trying another fax unit, but thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions before I go find and pay for one.

    Thanks


  2. #2
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texarkana, TX
    Posts
    545
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: MP2553

    is ECM on or off. might want to slow down the baud rate. are they pots or voip?


  3. #3
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: MP2553

    Are they using the same fax cable on both devices? Is the one for the old machine being used on the 2553? They can be wired differently for some reason. Switching off ECM can help too.

    Computers are serious tools, Michael!

  4. #4
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts guitar9199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: MP2553

    It's likely you've been bitten by the VOIP monster!!

    There are some settings you can adjust in SP mode and User Tools that will more or less "Dumb-Down" your fax board in the 2553 so it will work better over the VOIP lines.

    The key word here is "VOICE Over I.P."!! If the fax line puts out anything other than a clean signal, the receiving machine will pretty much just say "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot", and then disconnect.

    Go into User Tools/Fax Settings and disable ECM, then go into SP Mode for the following adjustments...

    ++++++++++++++++++++++

    FAX SP MODE using SP Direct.
    SP 1-104-001 Compression Modes

    Set the following.
    Bit 0 = 0
    Bit 1 = 1
    Bit 2 = 0
    Bit 3 = 1
    Bit 7 = 0

    SP 1-105-004 G3 V.8/V.34

    Set the following.
    Bit 1 = 0
    Bit 2 = 0
    Bit 6 = 0

    SP 1-105-006 Initial TX Mode V.17/V.29 & V.8/V.34

    Set the following.
    Bit 0 = 0
    Bit 1 = 1
    Bit 2 = 1
    Bit 3 = 0

    SP 1-105-007 Initial RX Mode V.17/V.29 & V.8/V.34

    Set the following.
    Bit 0 = 0
    Bit 1 = 1
    Bit 2 = 1
    Bit 3 = 0
    Bit 4 = 0
    Bit 5 = 0
    Bit 6 = 1
    Bit 7 = 0
    +++++++++++++++++++++++

    Good Luck.



  5. #5
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP2553

    sandmanmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Power
    70

    Re: MP2553

    Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    Are they using the same fax cable on both devices? Is the one for the old machine being used on the 2553? They can be wired differently for some reason. Switching off ECM can help too.
    Yes, same fax cable

    Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    It's likely you've been bitten by the VOIP monster!!
    There are some settings you can adjust in SP mode and User Tools that will more or less "Dumb-Down" your fax board in the 2553 so it will work better over the VOIP lines.

    I've always just assumed that sending faxes over a VOIP line was a problem. They're using an analog line, but if I'm understanding you correctly, receiving faxes over VOIP is just as big an issue too?

    Sorry, I know I've seen threads about this before, but I just never 'caught the bug' myself



    Edit: I'm curious if changing all of those settings make the machine brutally slow? They're a law firm, and send/ receive very large faxes. Might just switching off ECM help at all, without the other changes?

    Thanks fellas!

    Last edited by sandmanmac; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:04 PM. Reason: Afterthought

  6. #6
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP2553

    sandmanmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,574
    Rep Power
    70

    Re: MP2553

    So, I visited the customer today, and started by just disabling ECM. No luck.
    Then I went through and changed all of the suggested Bit switches. No luck .

    I sent faxes from another line in the office, and they were received. I had a colleague send me a fax, and got that one too.

    If this mahcine was located anywhere else, it might never even be an issue, But they receive most of their faxes from one particular government office, and it just won't receive it. I can't be sure if they're the only one it can't recive from, but it receives without issue for most other senders at least. I don't think it's a VOIP issue, but I do know it's a computer they're sending from.

    The machine picks up, and says "receiving" but it never does, and the sender receives a 'no answer' message.
    I re-connected their old mahcine in between one of the redial attempts from the sender and it worked fine.
    I've made arrangements to pick up another fax board, but I'm not oozing with confidence that it'll make any difference, sicne it works most of t
    This is a new one for me, and it doesn't make much sense, and I'm open to any other ideas, before I go back.

    Last edited by sandmanmac; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:52 PM.

  7. #7
    Retired 5,000+ Posts slimslob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    7,085
    Rep Power
    152

    Re: MP2553

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    So, I visited the customer today, and started by just disabling ECM. No luck.
    Then I went through and changed all of the suggested Bit switches. No luck .

    I sent faxes from another line in the office, and they were received. I had a colleague send me a fax, and got that one too.

    If this mahcine was located anywhere else, it might never even be an issue, But they receive most of their faxes from one particular government office, and it just won't receive it. I can't be sure if they're the only one it can't recive from, but it receives without issue for most other senders at least. I don't think it's a VOIP issue, but I do know it's a computer they're sending from.

    The machine picks up, and says "receiving" but it never does, and the sender receives a 'no answer' message.
    I re-connected their old mahcine in between one of the redial attempts from the sender and it worked fine.
    I've made arrangements to pick up another fax board, but I'm not oozing with confidence that it'll make any difference, sicne it works most of t
    This is a new one for me, and it doesn't make much sense, and I'm open to any other ideas, before I go back.
    I had a similar problem with a machine a few years ago. Fax worked fine except for faxes from one sender. The problem was a compatibility problem with the handshaking between the two machines. Some of it had to do with ECM but there were other issues. I talked to tech support and they had me change a number of bit switches. That took care of the problem, but it was so long ago I can't remember exactly they had me change.


  8. #8
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: MP2553

    Print the G3 dump list after a failed reception and check the protocols excanged to see where the problem is and enable the speaker in order to hear the sequence. May the line is cut in between and in this way you can hear it.


  9. #9
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Turnhout
    Posts
    491
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: MP2553

    Here in Belgium we have simmular problems when MODERN fax machines are installed.
    The problem is line quality; it will work with old fax machines, but not with new ones...
    So, the telephone company must do adjustments on the fax-telephone line to be compatible with the latest digital technologie.
    That explains why it is working at your place and give the fax tone when it is at customer place...
    Nice reply, don't you think?


  10. #10
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,207
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: MP2553

    Sandman I didn't explain myself very well in my original post. Is it the correct fax cable for the 3353?

    Computers are serious tools, Michael!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Get the Android App
click or scan for the Copytechnet Mobile App

-=-=-=-=-=-


IDrive Remote Backup

Lunarpages Internet Solutions

Advertise on Copytechnet

Your Link Here