Thread: SR3140 sc721-70

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    SR3140 sc721-70

SR3140 sc721-70

Hey everyone, Ive got a SR 3140 connected to a mpc3003 that was just moved from another state. When you first turn it on it displays either J001 in the finisher or J227 Jam in tray ascent/descent motor ( have no idea what this is referring to) R1-R4. No paper in finisher and all sensors seem to be working fine. Open\close cover and shift tray starts down and will continue to drive down even pass the lower limit sensor which reads ok in sp modes. I've seen the TSB for sc721-70 , but it doesn't seem like that is the problem. If I'm reading the TSB correctly and am looking at the right parts; i don't see that deformation of the the side plate frame. Has anyone dealt with this issue before and can give me some pointers? I've ordered the sheets to attatch, but I can't see how that will help. TIA
    Totoro

Technician

Re: SR3140 sc721-70

Quote Originally Posted by totoro View Post
    Hey everyone, Ive got a SR 3140 connected to a mpc3003 that was just moved from another state. When you first turn it on it displays either J001 in the finisher or J227 Jam in tray ascent/descent motor ( have no idea what this is referring to) R1-R4. No paper in finisher and all sensors seem to be working fine. Open\close cover and shift tray starts down and will continue to drive down even pass the lower limit sensor which reads ok in sp modes. I've seen the TSB for sc721-70 , but it doesn't seem like that is the problem. If I'm reading the TSB correctly and am looking at the right parts; i don't see that deformation of the the side plate frame. Has anyone dealt with this issue before and can give me some pointers? I've ordered the sheets to attatch, but I can't see how that will help. TIA
    Change the cable stapler

Inviato dal mio RAINBOW JAM 4G utilizzando Tapatalk

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    SR3140 sc721-70

Something has been damaged during the move. You probably did not secure the staple head before moving.

check the lower limit sensor and make sure it has not been knocked out of position. Had a situation like that recently and that was the cause.

SR3140 sc721-70

Unfortunately I wasn't the tech that prepped the move slimslob the stapler head seems to move and register fine , but ill check that out as well. jonhiker, the lower limit sensor is working as the the tray moves. I just saw that there is an upper limit switch as well as a sensor. Im going to check that out today. I didn't see a lower limit switch though.
    Totoro

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SR3140 sc721-70

I recently had something similar on an 8035. Turns out the finisher exit rollers were completely shot (as in the foam was gone), and it was blocking the shift tray paper full sensor causing the shift tray to bottom out. Might be worth a look...

SR3140 sc721-70

I think I found the problem. In my previous post I mentioned that I found an upper limit switch in the service manual in addition to the upper limit sensor. In going back to the machine i saw that the switch actuator and return spring are missing from the upper limit switch. I didn't find any broken parts. It looks like someone took the parts out of the finisher. When i manually actuate the switch with the shift tray in the top position; the finisher worked fine. I've got the parts on order. Thank you to all that replied to this thread.
    Totoro

If you're referring to the 2 parts that I drew the arrows next to, then chances are they are inside the machine. The Shift Tray Paper Surface Sensor Bracket is a very "flimsy" design and it takes very little jarring for both the Spring and Switch Lever to go missing. Ask me how I know?
    Attached Files Attached Files

SR3140 sc721-70

Yes it was the 2 parts you drew arrows to. I took the finisher and turned it upside down and shook it and no parts. I'm betting they were lost in the move.
    Totoro

Copier Technician 1,000+ Posts
    SR3140 sc721-70

Here is the technical bulletin for that error
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards Mark

FOR TRADE AND END USER SERVICE CALLS PLEASE VISIT WEB SITE FOR CONTACT DETAILS. COVERING GREATER LONDON {UK} AND ALL SURROUNDING COUNTIES.

RICOH, CANON, KYOCERA, KONICA, SHARP, HP/SAMSUNG BROTHER, LEXMARK.

https://copierservices.simdif.com