Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

161 Toner Supply Clutch

Never thought replacing this clutch would be so difficult. According to the service manual you push the shaft back so you can pull off the c-clip and then you slide it out the front and lift out the clutch. When I went to replace it, the shaft is already sticking out the back and I can not pull this thing out. Don't want to get forceful trying to get this thing out. Any suggestions. Thanks

Have you read the posting by tinfox "New 161spf not adding toner" originlly posted 06-19-2008?
    Did the customer install the wrong toner bottle, or install the bottle with the cap on, and jam the clutch drive? If they did the shaft inside the clutch can be so severely bound that you have to break the casing the clutch sits in. You will need to whack the shaft out and afterwards epoxy the casing back together. This will work. I have had to do it (customer jammed a toner bottle in with the cap still on). The casing really only holds the clutch and does not have a lot of stress on it, so the epoxy will work.

Technician
    nobody did admit to doing anything wrong(which we all know is funny). They did have the old bottle and it was the correct one, so they must have put it in with the cap on. Have not read the other forum yet. Thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Fearless V K's Avatar
    If you are slick, (I'm not saying that I'm slick, but I was kind of proud of myself when I did this, so I know it works) you can remove some covers, cheat some doors, and grab the clutch coupler with your hand and hold it tight, then energize the motor and toner clutch in output modes. It will rotate to the point where the jammed 'D' shaft and housing line back up, and the coupler will pop out. That way you don't have to break anything.
    Don't take that toner with me!