Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

Ricoh MP C305SPF slow printing with large pdf files

Hi there!

I have a curious case with a mp c305spf and slow printing in 100Mbps fd mode. It seems 100Mbps full duplex with "auto" and fixed 100Mbps full duplex are not the same for the machine.
    If i fix it to 100Mbps full duplex, the machine take a half minute pause/break between the pdf pages. When the network i/f is in auto mode with 100Mbps full duplex the pdf pages
    all are printed without a break and continuous.

Has anyone ever watched this or has a tip for me?

I have updated all and each firmware of the machine. The latest pcl driver 1.6.0. is installed and the standard tcp/ip port is in use.

Customers pdf file has 36 pages and if spooled the size of the printjob in the queu is 23,7mb.

Would be glad about tips & suggested solutions.

Thanks in advance

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh MP C305SPF slow printing with large pdf files

Quote Originally Posted by aktasson View Post
    Hi there!

I have a curious case with a mp c305spf and slow printing in 100Mbps fd mode. It seems 100Mbps full duplex with "auto" and fixed 100Mbps full duplex are not the same for the machine.
    If i fix it to 100Mbps full duplex, the machine take a half minute pause/break between the pdf pages. When the network i/f is in auto mode with 100Mbps full duplex the pdf pages

I have updated all and each firmware of the machine. The latest pcl driver 1.6.0. is installed and the standard tcp/ip port is in use.

Customers pdf file has 36 pages and if spooled the size of the printjob in the queu is 23,7mb.

Thanks in advance
    One thing that's always helped me is going to "Advanced" in the print dialogue, and selecting "Print as image". If you have a multi-layer PDF (And it's usually worse with PostScript), it takes F O R E V E R to chew on those files before the machine spits them out. Print as image flattens it out to one layer.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Hi there!

Thanks in advance

If it works fine in the recommended auto setting leave it alone, customer happy.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar9199 View Post
    One thing that's always helped me is going to "Advanced" in the print dialogue, and selecting "Print as image". If you have a multi-layer PDF (And it's usually worse with PostScript), it takes F O R E V E R to chew on those files before the machine spits them out. Print as image flattens it out to one layer.
    Print as image in acrobat or print as raster is the first choice what i do. But that's not the final solution. The machine takes the same time.

I can reproduce the problem in my workshop with another mp c305. This has something to do with the gw controller and the connection to the switch and network. Two different and extremly controller behavior between auto 100mbps full duplex and fixed 100mbps full duplex.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Try using fox it pdf viewer to print the pdf instead of adobe
    whenever ive had slow printing on pdf files ive swapped to using fox it and they print much faster
    I Used To Live To Fix Things Now i Fix Things To Live

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Bantams's Avatar

Does it have the "optional" HDD installed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bantams View Post
    Does it have the "optional" HDD installed ?
    No, none installed. To cut the matter short, customer's mpc305 ethernet setting is at "auto" with handled 100mbit full duplex and behaves like fixed 100mbit full duplex. That's why the pdf print is extremely slow with large pdf files.
    That it takes a little longer for a multi pdf document with 36 pages, is normal. The time for spooling is here not the problem!!!
    The question is, if there is any possibility to switch the machine into that turbo/fast mode manually.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

No, none installed. To cut the matter short, customer's mpc305 ethernet setting is at "auto" with handled 100mbit full duplex and behaves like fixed 100mbit full duplex. That's why the pdf print is extremely slow with large pdf files.
    That it takes a little longer for a multi pdf document with 36 pages, is normal. The time for spooling is here not the problem!!!
    The question is, if there is any possibility to switch the machine into that turbo/fast mode manually.
    Normally auto mode is only recommended. It is very simple that if by chance overall network speed drops still data is transferred to machine and processed.
    This is normal in any network, just think of your Mobil network. Even if you are on very high speed network, many times you will observe that speed is so low, & please understand this is not due to black spot, but it is due to some interference from some other device.
    Turnaround solution is to save file in document server and print.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by AjitN View Post
    Normally auto mode is only recommended. It is very simple that if by chance overall network speed drops still data is transferred to machine and processed.
    This is normal in any network, just think of your Mobil network. Even if you are on very high speed network, many times you will observe that speed is so low, & please understand this is not due to black spot, but it is due to some interference from some other device.
    Turnaround solution is to save file in document server and print.
    Hope this helps
    In my case it has nothing to do with interferences or network speed outside the mpc305. It has something to do with the controller of the machine that handled 100mbps full duplex in different ways. Thanks and sorry, but your your informations does not help me in my case.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

The most common explanation is that the printer driver is set to WSD.

Ensure you have the driver port set to IP not WSD

& the driver is not the generic but Ricoh PCL 6
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk