Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    MPC2551 Stopped scanning

MPC2551 Stopped scanning

customer had the internet "fixed" and now the 2551 has stopped scanning.
    has firmware updated and was previously scanning to windows10.

tried every trick I know, deleted user, deleted folder, added new user and new shared folder.
    tried using both computer name and ip address in path, neither work.

no error message like "transmission failed" or "authentication error". communication light flashes and display hangs at 99% and file goes nowhere.

prints on network just fine and WIM pulls up fine.

brought in my laptop and connected on their network, same problem, and my Win10 laptop scans fine in my office.

did memory clear for scanner, and also formatted HDD.

something simple I'm missing or has the scanner just crapped out?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC2551 Stopped scanning

Re: MPC2551 Stopped scanning

Immediately after it fails go into User Tools and print the interface settings. Near the bottom of the last page will be one or more network error messages. Look at the lines with SMB on them OR FTP if t=you are scanning to FTP. Those lines will give you the network error code for the failure.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MPC2551 Stopped scanning

Seems to me too coincidental that the scanner would die at the same time as they had the internet fixed
    What does that mean exactly?
    I'd suggest excluding their network from the equation and connect your laptop directly to the copier to isolate the problem positively.
    If that doesn't work then it's the scanner, but i'm leaning toward something (firewall?) blocking the connection.

MPC2551 Stopped scanning

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Seems to me too coincidental that the scanner would die at the same time as they had the internet fixed
    What does that mean exactly?
    I'd suggest excluding their network from the equation and connect your laptop directly to the copier to isolate the problem positively.
    If that doesn't work then it's the scanner, but i'm leaning toward something (firewall?) blocking the connection.
    I agree. turned firewall off to test as well.

this was a new location for the customer and when it was initially set up all the computers were connected wireless and the ip looked unusual to me 100.170.xxx.xxx and had no hard wired connection to hook up the 2551.

eventually they came back out and connected the single computer in question and the 2551 with 192.168.0.xxx. (now works fine printing and accessing WIM)

this computer and copier were initially at their other location and printing and scanning normally.

when I go back tomorrow will try my laptop connected directly to bypass their network.

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC2551 Stopped scanning

Quote Originally Posted by copyaction View Post
    ip looked unusual to me 100.170.xxx.xxx
    Definitely looks unusual. It is not private address. Private address ranges are:

• 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

That means that in all likelihood everything was using a public address. That put everything directly visible on the internet. Windows no longer allows SMB from public addresses.

MPC2551 Stopped scanning

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Definitely looks unusual. It is not private address. Private address ranges are:

• 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

That means that in all likelihood everything was using a public address. That put everything directly visible on the internet. Windows no longer allows SMB from public addresses.

Yes but but after they “fixed” it now it is 192.168.0.xxx

MPC2551 Stopped scanning

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    I’m here now, took your advice hooked my laptop directly to the Ricoh and it scans fine.

any idea what on their network could be stopping scans, already turned off firewall?

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MPC2551 Stopped scanning

Quote Originally Posted by copyaction View Post
    I’m here now, took your advice hooked my laptop directly to the Ricoh and it scans fine.

any idea what on their network could be stopping scans, already turned off firewall?
    Sorry, No.
    That's beyond my pay grade, but it's also the point where you've proved that it's not the machine, and that they need to have their IT people figure it out, and in the meantime I'd probably just set up FTP or scan to email, until they get it figured out, and invoice them for my time.
    Good luck

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC2551 Stopped scanning

What type of WIFI interface are they using on the computer, built in as with a laptop or external USB device. I have had USB devices that blocked incoming read/write commands to the computer that they are plugged into. If they don't want to string cable, they could try using something such as a Netgear N300. They can get one for the computer and one for the MFP unless they are next to eadch other where they can use one N300 and a $20 4 port switch.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    MPC2551 Stopped scanning

We had it written into the service agreement: if it scans to a laptop it's not a hardware problem.

So many small customers don't want to pay for professional IT work, or just assume that you'll continue to provide free IT work any time the printer is connected to the network. The real estate agencies are the worst, with dozens of new agents dropping on and off their network, with private laptops. A person could make most of a full time job just chasing around the changing employee roster. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=