Senior Tech 250+ Posts sharpmind's Avatar

BLUE SCREEN (MP C2504EX)

The display shows only blue screen and it stays there with no error code. The manual says that it can be resolved by updating the Cheetah system firmware. The file size of the firmware is about 197Mb. If I use 4GB SD card to save the file, do you think the machine can recognize it? Can you guide me also on how to go to RECOVERY MODE and update the smart operation panel firmware?Thank you.
    IMG-20180128-WA0005.jpg

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Re: BLUE SCREEN (MP C2504EX)

Hi there!
    1. thing to check: remove all cassettes, look for paper behind the cassettes & no overfilled cassettes.
    2. check all the conectors of the panel & the counterparts in the machine, refit them.
    SOP-recovery mode: switch of the machine. unplug powercord, then switch the power-button (blue led on SOP blinks for 1/2 a second)
    Hold SOP-sw 1&3, turn on the machine. When the blue screen apears hold SOP-sw 1&2. Then you can update the SOP.
    Greetings...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldaman View Post
    Hi there!
    1. thing to check: remove all cassettes, look for paper behind the cassettes & no overfilled cassettes.
    2. check all the conectors of the panel & the counterparts in the machine, refit them.
    SOP-recovery mode: switch of the machine. unplug powercord, then switch the power-button (blue led on SOP blinks for 1/2 a second)
    Hold SOP-sw 1&3, turn on the machine. When the blue screen apears hold SOP-sw 1&2. Then you can update the SOP.
    Greetings...
    I am able to enter to the recovery mode but when I select apply update from rhe sd card there is no firmware found.. I partitioned the 4GB sd card into 1 GB and save the SOP firmware in it. Any ideas why firmware is not being displayed during the update?

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

4Gb SD card is fine for the SOP panel SD card slot.
    Quick format as FAT32, extract the .zip file in the .exe to the root.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    4Gb SD card is fine for the SOP panel SD card slot.
    Quick format as FAT32, extract the .zip file in the .exe to the root.
    You mean there is no need to partition the 4GB sd card? I thought machine cannot recognize SD card more than 1GB. When I extract the downloaded file and unzip it, it will show another zip file. That file i save in the SD card. Am I right?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    BLUE SCREEN (MP C2504EX)

Download the package file (.pkg) this will update the SOP fw & main machine, put this in a folder called “package” on your sd card, put the sd card in slot 2 & power on the machine. If your 4gb is not reconised try a 2gb card.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharpmind View Post
    You mean there is no need to partition the 4GB sd card? I thought machine cannot recognize SD card more than 1GB. When I extract the downloaded file and unzip it, it will show another zip file. That file i save in the SD card. Am I right?
    The SD card slot on the main machine has a smaller size limitation.
    The SD card slot on the SOP Panel (Android) can read and write to larger SD cards.

If your not doing the .pkg method, then you would update the SOP O/S and the SOP apps using the panel's SD card slot.

It is basically a customised Android tablet connected to a GW controller via a USB cable.
    Two different systems, and that's exactly how I see and approach them for troubleshooting purposes.
    Last edited by Cipher; 04-07-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    BLUE SCREEN (MP C2504EX)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpmind View Post
    It has been many years since SD card size for firmware update has been limited to 1GB. For a couple of model levels they went to accept 2GB cards, but not all makes of cards. By the 04s I believe that 4GB cards were accepted. There is a recommendation only, not requirement, to use either either a 1GB or 500MB card as they will work with ALL models that use SD cards for updates.

These limits applied to the firmware update SD slot on the main frame. If the SOP will recognize an SD card in the slot on the panel itself for Scan To or Print From Memory Device, then it should work for updating the Android firmware.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts aktasson's Avatar

RTB No.: RD0AH010a 2018-04-08 03_26_44-RTB No._ RD0AH010a _ Trouble shooting_ Smart Operation Panel Issues.jpg
    Components to Check during Troubleshooting
    1. Sub board and Mainboard connection, 2. USB cable connection, 3. Connection between USB cable and main board, 4. Connection between USB and IPU, LCD unit and connection, 5. LCD I/F cable.