Thread: MP161

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

MP161

Copier has offsetting issue. Replaced upper fuser roller twice & lower fuser roller once. Afterwards offsetting would go away yet (not sure number of copies made) after about a week offsetting would be back. The last thing replaced was the PCU, offsetting instantly went away. Came back today a month later for routine ck-up and offsetting is back along with raised toner feel on paper. What might I be missing??? The toner I use in this copier is the same used in several other MP 161's being serviced with no problems. Also looks like copier has a major bias leak(haze over copy) or overtoning & once again PCU is new with a little over 10,000 copies.
    Thanks!!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP161

Re: MP161

Wondering why you'd replace fuser rollers a couple of times? If unsure of the source of the issue (PCU or fuser), stop the copy.
    The 'haze' all over the copy surely indicates it's not the fuser.
    Did you initialize the PCU at install?
    Also...this "same" toner you're referring to is apparently not Genuine OEM, so you can NEVER rule that out. The trouble with generics is always that they can change their "recipe" at anytime to save themselves a few pennies in manufacturing.
    I've had my fair share of experience with Generics, but they inevitably fail at some point and the cost of time and consumable loss very quickly eats up all that previous "savings".

The only generics or compatibles I'll use are monocomponent machines (mostly AIO cartridges)

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

When the problem went away right after the PCU was changed was when you should have suspected the toner.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I second everything everyone said about the toner.

replaced was the PCU, offsetting instantly went away.
    Well of course it would. The new PCU is preloaded with OEM dev/toner isn't it ? Then the crap toner works its way in and everything goes to sh#t.

overtoning & once again PCU is new with a little over 10,000 copies.
    of course it will overtone, that is one of symptoms of crap toner. The PCU was new until you put the crap toner. Now that dev is useless.

I never understand the false economy of putting 'compatible' toners. I see them every day because my bosses are cheapskates and order us to take those toners. Especially in the big machines such as mp 6000's etc, those toners literally destroy the copiers. There is more toner dumped inside the machine than on the copies. I am fuming with anger every time I go to one of those.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

no copy-paper can be the issue...
    1. inform customer that paper can be the issue.
    2. If hot roller is not smooth anymore, replace it.
    3. make a copy with paper from your office; OK? No need to replace the pcu again...
    Not ok? Replace pcu.
    Customer may not use the paper anymore which he uses now.
    It could be that preprinted paper is the issue...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    MP161

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    no copy-paper can be the issue...
    1. inform customer that paper can be the issue.
    2. If hot roller is not smooth anymore, replace it.
    3. make a copy with paper from your office; OK? No need to replace the pcu again...
    Not ok? Replace pcu.
    Customer may not use the paper anymore which he uses now.
    It could be that preprinted paper is the issue...
    I follow your perspective, but curious how the cq issue was resolved immediately after a pcu change. I am realizing that Amazon is now even selling copy paper, along with several bottom shelf "COPY PAPER" choices. These low cost paper choices are increasingly causing issues with my machines, although usually jamming while duplexing and extreme paper dusting everywhere.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eddy out View Post
    I follow your perspective, but curious how the cq issue was resolved immediately after a pcu change. I am realizing that Amazon is now even selling copy paper, along with several bottom shelf "COPY PAPER" choices. These low cost paper choices are increasingly causing issues with my machines, although usually jamming while duplexing and extreme paper dusting everywhere.
    cheapest paper of IBM, Xerox will damage - and quickly - both hot roller and pcu on a Aficio 3030.
    It took me 1 year to find this out!
    A great name doesn't mean anything...
    In fact, once you have used this paper, parts will never last as long as before you used this paper.
    Discovery paper 75- or 70gr/mē is the best paper i have ever known.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    MP161

with this same model and generic toner the same thing happened to me.

that crap of toner damaged everything

changed unit and very well as he began to charge that poison and again wrong

before the disbelief of the owner asked for a change of toner, I did not want to, take mine

and full