Thread: eClinicalWorks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    eClinicalWorks

eClinicalWorks

I'm usually not stumped by a network/software related issue, but this one has me stymied!!

Customer (Clinic) is updating their patient software to eClinical Works, and they currently have a Ricoh MP C3503 MFP. I installed TWAIN drivers on their computer, and the local computer is able to scan with no issues.. but the eClinical software doesn't even SEE the device!!

I'm already NOT a fan of the software... it doesn't even give you an option to configure the scanner using a static IP address, it just refuses to communicate with the Ricoh. It sees a small Epson and HP tabletop in their office connected via Wi-Fi, but the wired MFP lists as a "Generic TWAIN Scanner" (which is what the driver is named), but refuses to communicate!

Machine firmware already updated to newest versions across the board, and like I said before, if you use Adobe, or Paint, the TWAIN drivers work just fine.

...anyone have any suggestions?

Re: eClinicalWorks

I hope you pointed out to them that the issue most likely lies with their proprietary software and NOT the Ricoh itself?
    Is the Ricoh replacing another machine that DID work with the software?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    eClinicalWorks

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    I hope you pointed out to them that the issue most likely lies with their proprietary software and NOT the Ricoh itself?
    Is the Ricoh replacing another machine that DID work with the software?

The Ricoh was already in place... the SOFTWARE is a new addition! I did mention that TWAIN is sort of an industry standard, and other programs like TimeMatters and Paper Scan work just fine with those drivers.

I'm under the sneaking suspicion that the new software is written in such a way to force the client to purchase hardware from them as well.... but I won't swear to it.

eClinicalWorks most likely does not support all mfp's twain drivers

you can setup scan to folder and have them import file

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    eClinicalWorks most likely does not support all mfp's twain drivers

you can setup scan to folder and have them import file
    If that is not an option (where eClinicalWork can’t import PDFs or TIFs), here’s an idea.

There is a utility that will allow you to TWAIN scan from a folder, from ScanWorks.

Virtual Twain driver for import images - TwainImporter - ScanWorks Software

It’s about $100 to buy, but you can get a free trial.

I used this some years back in a real estate title company whose home grown software wouldn’t work with the Ricoh TWAIN driver.

It actually saved them time, too, as they only needed to walk to the MFP once to scan their docs. Just scanned to folder, and then used the utility to get the files in. It may have been 2 steps, but they were able to scan at their leisure, and get the files into their software at a later time. Plus they never left their docs unattended, which could be a huge security benefit in the medical world.

Just a thought.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    eClinicalWorks

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Plus they never left their docs unattended, which could be a huge security benefit in the medical world.
    This is one of the main reasons that a lot of high end medical software discourage scanning from a network MFP, by not supporting it. They prefer that you scan from a standalone desktop scanner connected directly to the computer doing the scanning.

Another thing is that many large medical facilities use server based software where the workstations are actually acting as dumb terminals terminals. Printing and scanning devices need to have their drivers installed on the server in order for the server to see them.