Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

MP2851 ADF dog earing rear leading edge of paper when feeding.

As the title states I have an MP2851 that when you feed originals through the ADF the rear leading edge of the paper is dog eared downwards towards the slit glass. I think it is happening just before, at, or just after the slit glass as the image output is warped. Not just skewed but warped.

I've looked at both points where the paper exits and enters before and after the slit glass and I don't see anything that should be hitting the paper.

When it does cause a jam it shows as jam code 53

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MP2851 ADF dog earing rear leading edge of paper when feeding.

Re: MP2851 ADF dog earing rear leading edge of paper when feeding.

Left hinge issue.
    If you press down on the rear left corner before use it won't happen.
    I've fixed them before by somehow installling spacer under the hinge spring to increase the pressure, but It's been so long that I don't recall exactly what I did, but I know it was much easier than replacing the hinge assy

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    Left hinge issue.
    If you press down on the rear left corner before use it won't happen.
    I've fixed them before by somehow installling spacer under the hinge spring to increase the pressure, but It's been so long that I don't recall exactly what I did, but I know it was much easier than replacing the hinge assy
    I'm going back out to it tomorrow, I'll try screwing with the hinge assembly.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts sharpmind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtrooper View Post
    As the title states I have an MP2851 that when you feed originals through the ADF the rear leading edge of the paper is dog eared downwards towards the slit glass. I think it is happening just before, at, or just after the slit glass as the image output is warped. Not just skewed but warped.

I've looked at both points where the paper exits and enters before and after the slit glass and I don't see anything that should be hitting the paper.

When it does cause a jam it shows as jam code 53
    When I install new machine, I used to keep the extra machine brand decal. That extra machine decal I used whenever there is a dog-eared problem. I cut that decal and put it between the rear edge of the paper path of the document feeder ( opposite of the DF glass). Dog-ear happens when the gap of the paper exit is narrow. In order to increase the gap, put something on it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sharpmind View Post
    When I install new machine, I used to keep the extra machine brand decal. That extra machine decal I used whenever there is a dog-eared problem. I cut that decal and put it between the rear edge of the paper path of the document feeder ( opposite of the DF glass). Dog-ear happens when the gap of the paper exit is narrow. In order to increase the gap, put something on it.

It was a downpressure issue with the left ADF hinge. Under the cover are some shoulder screws with springs. I stuck in some small bearings as spacers and the problem went away.