Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

mp501 -- 6x9 manila envelopes jam code 37 "double feed detection"

These 6x9 inch envelopes were working previously -- the salesperson set the machine up and tested both these and standard size white envelopes.

Now it jams every time with these envelope -- goes a little way past the reg roller and just barely hits the fuser before coming to a stop. No crumpling of the lead edge at all and machine displays jam code 37. Paper size is set correctly at computer, type is set to envelopes, machine is programmed for "driver/command" so should be obeying the computer settings. I don't get why it's triggering the double feed detect sensors, and according to the service manual there's no way to turn the detection off like I used to do with the c6000 machines (SP 1-302).

The customer had work to do and asked me to come back another day (it's a very small office and not much room), so I'm not in front of the machine now.

I called Ricoh tech support and he does not know of a way to turn this off either.

Ricoh TSRC site Tech Forum does not even have a group for these models.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: mp501 -- 6x9 manila envelopes jam code 37 "double feed detection"

Have you tried cleaning/replacing the bypass separation pad?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

no, I haven't tried that -- the machine is nearly brand new, and it's not actually double feeding -- it's falsely triggering the sensor. We were testing it with loading only one envelope at a time into the bypass.
    I've been poring over the service manual today trying to find the double feed sensor, but I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet.

The machine is at a government office which is closed today for the holiday. Tuesday I'll be back out there and I'll make sure to clean the sep pad and try again. I suppose I will do firmware as well.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morgansterne View Post
    no, I haven't tried that -- the machine is nearly brand new, and it's not actually double feeding -- it's falsely triggering the sensor. We were testing it with loading only one envelope at a time into the bypass.
    I've been poring over the service manual today trying to find the double feed sensor, but I haven't seen it listed anywhere yet.

The machine is at a government office which is closed today for the holiday. Tuesday I'll be back out there and I'll make sure to clean the sep pad and try again. I suppose I will do firmware as well.
    I would try feeding an envelope out of the main tray along with trying to make a copy onto one of the envelopes. That would help rule out the bypass tray or driver issues.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Just out of curiosity, have you tried selecting the standard C5 envelope? The size is very close: 6.38" x 9.02"
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Ok, I got this working. All we had to do was choose a standard size envelope -- somehow a different size had been chosen I think. I measured the envelope and set the size but I think with the flap open the sensors thought it was stream feeding.

So this model doesn't have a double feed sensor measuring the paper thickness (which is why I couldn't find it in the service manual), it just thought it was stream feeding because of the flap.