Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

MP6503 finicky paper size detection

Is it just me or do these machines seem to be touchy about paper size detection in the universal trays.

We just sold eight of these new to a local school system and one likes to confuse legal and 8K sized paper. Had another that picked up A4 instead of letter SEF because the fences were not pushed right snug against the paper.

The only times I've had this problem with the MP6002 was when they had gotten older and had a buildup of crude in the paper fence tracks.

Any ideas?

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: MP6503 finicky paper size detection

My general rule of thumb with a machine of a certain size, i.e. Martini in mono and Venus / Charis in colour, is the customer should be clever enough to specify the paper size themselves. They are after all classed as a high end office machine and should be used by people properly trained and who have more than 3 brain cells.

If the end fences aren't next to the paper anyway, the machine hasn't a shot in hell of detecting the right size.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    My general rule of thumb with a machine of a certain size, i.e. Martini in mono and Venus / Charis in colour, is the customer should be clever enough to specify the paper size themselves. They are after all classed as a high end office machine and should be used by people properly trained and who have more than 3 brain cells.

If the end fences aren't next to the paper anyway, the machine hasn't a shot in hell of detecting the right size.
    Most of these machines we have in the field are used by teachers, with prison guards coming in second. None of them seem interested in any more interaction with the machine other than putting paper in it and pushing the start button. We've had a hard enough time just getting them to stop slamming the tandem trays shut and jumping them over the stopper.

While I heartily agree they should know what they are doing I don't know how to get this particular horse to drink from the water trough I want it to.

Well in this vein I've got a MP 6002 that can't seem to tell the difference between 8k paper and 8.5x14 in the universal trays when set to auto detect. Tray two is flakey and tray 3 will only pick up the size as legal if the tray is less than half full.

I've replaced the size switches at the back of the machine and in the near future I'm going to replace the levers under the tray that are linked to the paper fences.