Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    C5502 weird pdf printing issue

Hi, All. I have a customer that is printing 10 page pdf's using Adobe reader. Occasionally it will malfunction as follows: 10 page PDF print command sent to machine, hit print tab on driver just once. 5 pages will print and machine will pause, then print the same 5 pages, pause, then print the same 5 pages, pause and then print the last 5 pages of the pdf. I have not seen it happen, but the customer is machine and computer savvy, and it only does it sometimes. Has anyone seen this malfunction before? I asked if it was happening on just one document (maybe a possible corrupt file), but he said no. Machine has all updated firmware, and it occurs only from his pc.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Trusted Tech

Re: C5502 weird pdf printing issue

since this is already narrowed down to one pc, there may be something wrong with his adobe reader installation. I would try printing the same pdfs from another reader like Foxit, and see what happens

What print driver?

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Few things to try:
    1. Install Foxit pdf on his computer and print pdfs from that.
    2. Delete all the .sho, .shd, and .tmp files in \Windows\System32\spool\Printers
    The print spool service will have to be stopped and view hidden files enabled to see and delete them.
    3. Install a new print driver.
    gl

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Don't forget that printing from sources like the internet or email attachments sometimes fails.
    In such cases customer needs to save the file first on his computer and print from there...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Methedor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bbb View Post
    Don't forget that printing from sources like the internet or email attachments sometimes fails.
    In such cases customer needs to save the file first on his computer and print from there...
    I've been trying to understand the 'why' behind that. Closest that I have read is that web browser uses its own methods to print instead of using the installed Driver. Am I just picking up on misinformation?

As for the printing issue here. I have sometimes been able to use Microsoft Edge (Strange, I know) or Foxit for printing. Another thought if its from a file error, with unfortunately more steps, would be to load it into Google Chrome and do a PDF print so a new PDF will be created with the same displayed information. I know its not tenable as a long term solution, but its at least a trouble shoot.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I had this same issue with a customer printing a large pdf on a mp c3002...except he was printing like a 200 page document...it would get to page 5 or 15 or even 50, then start over.

I resolved this by going into the printer driver properties and checking the box under the advanced tab that says "Print after last page is spooled"

I was able to recreate this problem at my office on an 02 and found that my computer was spooling very slowly...and what ever got sent to the printer, would print out super fast...then when the next page got to it from the computer, it for some reason would start all over...it was like the printer was getting ahead of the computer if that even makes sense.

I don't know if this is the same thing or if my thinking on it is even correct...but this is what solved it for me...hope this helps.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ABS tect View Post

I resolved this by going into the printer driver properties and checking the box under the advanced tab that says "Print after last page is spooled"
    The customer really did not want to use another PDF reader at this time, so I went ahead and did this. Time will tell if it's going to work. Thanks for all the replies, guys.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    The customer really did not want to use another PDF reader at this time, so I went ahead and did this. Time will tell if it's going to work. Thanks for all the replies, guys.

When you go back install the pcl6 driver and uncheck snmp under ports

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsm2 View Post
    When you go back install the pcl6 driver and uncheck snmp under ports
    I AM using the pcl6. Turning off snmp may have a negative effect other programs.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING