Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

MP C3503 Paper Exit Squeaking

Getting a lot of squeaking upon the paper exiting the machine (3503)...had this in the past and just replaced the paper exit unit.

Have another one though and currently don't have another paper exit unit that wont be needed elsewhere so was wanting to fix the squeak on this one...my question was is it best to apply some type of lubricant such as wd-40 on the bushing or grease? (i use lubriplate bentone grease)

And are the bushing the correct place to apply either? Or could the squeaking be coming from the plastic rollers on it?

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Re: MP C3503 Paper Exit Squeaking

I would not lubricate any brass/copper bushings on metal shafts as there is a good chance it will grind the shaft down and seize solid. (I seen so many techs make that mistake).

It's best to just remove those type of bushings and clean them with a dry rag and a cotton bud.

If it's a metal shaft with a plastic bushing or plastic on plastic you can apply a small grain of grease.
    Once again I would not do so if target area is prone to getting dirty with toner.

On the exit units be sure to clean the idle rollers as they tend to get build a up of hard toner. Easily spotted on the white rollers.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

put drop of oil on the white exit rollers. the unit is easy to take out, doesn't take long at all. I use a real small flat blade to spread the ends alittle bit and put a drop on both ends. you can lift each roller while its running and that will let you know which one it is, but I do them all. good luck

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

There was a bulletin released for this issue, along with a few other areas that squeek (the scan rails etc)

I use WD40 pin point the white exit rollers in particular, run the exit motor in output check in SP mode whilst appling.

After you have finished be sure to run say 20+ test pages to remove any excess from the path.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

is it best to apply some type of lubricant such as wd-40 on the bushing or grease? (i use lubriplate bentone grease)

And are the bushing the correct place to apply either? Or could the squeaking be coming from the plastic rollers on it?[/QUOTE]

WD 40 will solve your problem for the time being. that can be used for narration of cause.
    Please understand that if there is squeaking noise, that means there is more friction between some parts.
    Whatever it is ( Metal-metal, Iron to brass, plastic etc.)
    First thing is to remove complete unit and clean all parts with IPA OR diesel ( you also need to check the loading on these unit. i.e. if Fuser is jammed cleaning only output assy. will not help.)
    Try to contact some industrial oil supplier & not gas station, and try to get heat resistant grease from them. this is thick, effective but costly.
    Once you put it very little, just on contact area, not too much, you will be free for next one year.
    Hope this helps

Arrow Re: MP C3503 Paper Exit Squeaking

There is no grease applied to the brass / copper bushings on metal shafts from the factory for a good reason.

They are designed to work dry, they only need to be kept clean.

Like I said I've had to replace shafts and bushings on a fair few exit units because they had grind down the shafts and seized solid.

The moral of the story is some quick fix techs really do need their oil pens taken out of their tool cases lol.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    There is no grease applied to the brass / copper bushings on metal shafts from the factory for a good reason.

They are designed to work dry, they only need to be kept clean.

Like I said I've had to replace shafts and bushings on a fair few exit units because they had grind down the shafts and seized solid.

The moral of the story is some quick fix techs really do need their oil pens taken out of their tool cases lol.
    Actually that is not entirely correct. Sintered brass bushings are impregnated with oil. A small amount weeps out supposedly keeping them lubricated. The problem is that if they heat up, such as in an exit section above a fusing unit, too much weeps out, dries and forms a thin lacquer film on the shaft that if not removed can cause the shaft to seize up. Eventually the bushing will not have enough oil left in it to function properly. Putting oil on it does not help as it is not absorbed. You have to either replace the bushings or boil them in an oil appropriate for the temperature at which they are going to be used.

It's besides the point.

They are not meant to have any additional lubricant added.

Just inspect and clean any dirt out of the inner shim with a cotton bud -or- replace them as required.
    Last edited by Cipher; 02-24-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

All I can say is I have always just used WD40 its an instant fix & i’ve never had the issue again, since this is the official fix from Ricoh UK i’ll go with that! 🇬🇧
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    All I can say is I have always just used WD40 its an instant fix & i’ve never had the issue again, since this is the official fix from Ricoh UK i’ll go with that! ����
    The real issue occurs when you give dust and toner something to cling to, it can work it's way between the shaft and bushing causing increased friction, it then heats up under prolong rotation, metal expands then bang you have a problem.

At first it manifests as a intermittent jam on longer print runs, but eventually it grind down the shaft and it seizes.

Don't get me wrong though, I have no problem at all cleaning the inner shim with WD40 and a cotton bud, but I would never leave it visibly wet.

Mostly caused by junior techs mis-using oil pens in my experience.