Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ricoh - PM (preventive maintenance) reset - at old copiers and at new copiers

Hello everybody.

I have this dilemma - with reseting PM (preventive maintenance calling) at old copiers and at new copiers:

For example:
    1.) Ricoh Aficio MP1045: when PM calling is at the screen, you can resets the PM Counter with 7804 function and the PM calling at the screen is going away
    but
    2.) Ricoh Aficio MP4000: when PM calling is at the screen, in 7804 function is the PM counter for each part (7804 - 002 - Clear PCD (resets the PM counter of the PCD - drum and development unit except developer), 003 - resets the PM counter of the transfer unit, 004 - reset the PM counter of the fuser unit, ...). What to do if the copier has for example 380.000 pages and I only change PCU (drum) and developing unit, fuser unit and web I do not change and clear only: 7804 - 002 (PCU and develop. unit) ? The PM calling at the screen will go away? I must reset 7804 - 004 fuser, too? And than go the PM calling at the screen away???
    Do I understand this good?
    Thank you.

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

Re: Ricoh - PM (preventive maintenance) reset - at old copiers and at new copiers

Quote Originally Posted by spree View Post
    Hello everybody.

I have this dilemma - with reseting PM (preventive maintenance calling) at old copiers and at new copiers:

For example:
    1.) Ricoh Aficio MP1045: when PM calling is at the screen, you can resets the PM Counter with 7804 function and the PM calling at the screen is going away
    but
    2.) Ricoh Aficio MP4000: when PM calling is at the screen, in 7804 function is the PM counter for each part (7804 - 002 - Clear PCD (resets the PM counter of the PCD - drum and development unit except developer), 003 - resets the PM counter of the transfer unit, 004 - reset the PM counter of the fuser unit, ...). What to do if the copier has for example 380.000 pages and I only change PCU (drum) and developing unit, fuser unit and web I do not change and clear only: 7804 - 002 (PCU and develop. unit) ? The PM calling at the screen will go away? I must reset 7804 - 004 fuser, too? And than go the PM calling at the screen away???
    Do I understand this good?
    Thank you.
    The number of counters in the machine varies greatly by age and model. The oldest will only have one counter usually named PM Counter. This also controls when the machine asks for service. Up from that some machines will have a counter named paper and counter named 60k part. From that are some that have paper, 60k part and 120k part.

Beyond that machines will have a Paper counter and counters for various named parts. In cases where a machine has a counter named Paper it is that counter that controls when the machine starts showing PM Call on the panel. If you only replace some parts you should reset the counter for those parts and if the machine is showing PM call then reset the Paper counter.

You will need to depend on your customer to call you promptly when quality deteriorates though so that you can replace the other parts which may have gone past yield. Some do this, but some will leave it sitting with poor quality for weeks or months until they finally get angry and call then they will say "WELL IT'S BEEN DOING THIS FOR A MONTH!"

So. My advice is to only push your luck on parts going over yield with customers who will call promptly for service.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Ricoh - PM (preventive maintenance) reset - at old copiers and at new copiers

Thank you very much. The "paper" option is not detaily write in manual. Your answer is very helpful for me. Sometimes customer has good fuser (but maintenance table said: "replace"), but the PCU and developing unit has poor printing quality. And all is about money: change fuser, PCU, developing unit, transfer belt together is more expensive, then change only: PCU, developing unit and the fuser must stand (hold) - especially when the fuser is still in condition.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

The count for the PM alarm can be set in SP 5501-001. If set to 0, the alarm is turned off. SP 1902-004 sets the alarm threshold for the fusing cleaning web. Should the web be allowed to run to the end, printing will be disabled.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    The count for the PM alarm can be set in SP 5501-001. If set to 0, the alarm is turned off. SP 1902-004 sets the alarm threshold for the fusing cleaning web. Should the web be allowed to run to the end, printing will be disabled.
    Default is set OFF for the SP 1902-004 (it can be OFF, how, set zero (0))? When is this function "OFF" (set to zero (0)), the web runs to the end or continous turning to the neverending? Sorry for my stupid question, but web has neverending turning all around?
    Because customer has probably old fuser and the machine Ricoh Aficio MP4000 has 380.000 copies, what about web? The changing interval is web supply roller 160K and web holder roller 320K, brake pad 320K - is this enough (380.000 copies) for web to change?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Default is set OFF for the SP 1902-004 (it can be OFF, how, set zero (0))? When is this function "OFF" (set to zero (0)), the web runs to the end or continous turning to the neverending? Sorry for my stupid question, but web has neverending turning all around?
    Because customer has probably old fuser and the machine Ricoh Aficio MP4000 has 380.000 copies, what about web? The changing interval is web supply roller 160K and web holder roller 320K, brake pad 320K - is this enough (380.000 copies) for web to change?
    the web is not "neverending," first of all...furthermore, you should always have a web 'near end' message enabled. on this particular machine, the fuser can run a very long time since the web seems to be doing such a good job. you can remove the web unit from this machine completely, but I hate to rebuild this fuser so I keep the web functional.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

SP 1902-004 should be a number between 0 and 100. Normally either 90 or 92 depending on what part of the world. It is the % used at which the near end alarm comes on and displays "Replace fusing Unit Cleaning Unit Soon" or something similar. It is based on the run time for the web motor and not page count. If you depend only on page count, a customer making a high ratio of legal size prints will have the web run out before the pm count is reached.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thank you very much guys. You were very helpfull for me.