Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    SC-500 caused by leaky developer seals and failed drive gears

I service a lot of the Ricoh Aficio copiers. Great machines, run forever, but they have a problem with the seals failing, allowing developer material to get into the gears and ruin the developing unit. It will start to make a lot of noise, and eventually throw an SC-500 code when the unit locks up. A new PCU cost $500 wholesale. I've got a machine, it's more than 10 years old, seals are shot, but I'm too cheap to replace the assembly, so I'm going to try and seal the unit using RTV. Here's my photo blog of my attempt. So far it's working great, has anyone else tried something like this?

Ricoh developing unit | Facebook

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Re: SC-500 caused by leaky developer seals and failed drive gears

You didn't specify model so I will assume that you are referring to 220/270 through MP XX53. Depleted developer will slowly work its way through the bushings at the rear and collect in the cavity around the development unit gears. If you are using Type 1027 PCUs, the only correction is to replace the PCU. With the later models that have rebuildable PCUs, you need to check the cavities at each PM. If there is a buildup of depleted developer, order a new lower development case and gears that go on the developer roller unit. Doing PMs when they are supposed to be done will prevent the developer from starting to deplete and work through the bushings. Once you get an SC 500, motor bind, you may also have to replace the gear box as well. Wear spots will be on the nylon gears that the motor shaft turns against.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You didn't specify model so I will assume that you are referring to 220/270 through MP XX53. Depleted developer will slowly work its way through the bushings at the rear and collect in the cavity around the development unit gears. If you are using Type 1027 PCUs, the only correction is to replace the PCU. With the later models that have rebuildable PCUs, you need to check the cavities at each PM. If there is a buildup of depleted developer, order a new lower development case and gears that go on the developer roller unit. Doing PMs when they are supposed to be done will prevent the developer from starting to deplete and work through the bushings. Once you get an SC 500, motor bind, you may also have to replace the gear box as well. Wear spots will be on the nylon gears that the motor shaft turns against.
    This particular unit is from an Aficio MP 1600. I'm a small independent and do my best not to have to buy expensive parts. Did you look at the photo album I linked? I'm taking apart the lower development case, replacing the gears and resealing it with RTV....

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robinh View Post
    This particular unit is from an Aficio MP 1600. I'm a small independent and do my best not to have to buy expensive parts. Did you look at the photo album I linked? I'm taking apart the lower development case, replacing the gears and resealing it with RTV....
    Are you using Genuine Oem Developer? Most of the issues I've had with leakage have been due to Generic dev, which I've heard may have a smaller particle size, which makes a lot of sense.
    The smaller particles can penetrate through the seals and chew up the gears, so as usual, the initial perceived savings with a generic brand comes back to bite

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Same basic thing. You do not need to replace the entire PCU. You only need to replace the lower development case, pn B259 3170, and any gears that are worn.

Case is available from Precision Roller for $90.95.
    Ricoh B2593170 (B259-3170) Developer Case, Genuine (M1002)

Copier Combobulator 500+ Posts

All those white painted screws you removed are not intended to be removed as there is a seal between the upper and lower parts of the lower dev unit, at least this is what Ricoh claims in the service manuals.

Also that shaft you greased is going to come back to bite you when toner and developer get in that cavity and bind to it, and believe toner and developer WILL get in there. No matter what you do, it's just a matter of time. Changing everything on time and using Ricoh original developer will just make it take longer.

You're better off just putting a new lower dev case in when the gears in it start to get eaten up. They're not meant to be a lifetime part and will usually last several years so even at retail markup it's not that expensive.

Now if you want to tell me it's a crap design I will heartily agree with you, and it's the same crap design that Ricoh used for something like 15 years until they made the 54 and 55 series machines which use a much different and better dev unit.

But alas we have to deal with the hand we are dealt.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

So, I'm a small independent. 37 years of field experience, in '95 I was local service manager with 12 techs, in 2000 I was Danka Area Manager with 29 techs. Today, it's me, my truck and my garage trying to pay the bills, but at least I get to do it my way. ;-)

I use OEM developer, but I do use aftermarket toner. The lower dev case, part #B259 3170 is $80 my cost. Back when I was spending the corp's money, that was no big deal. Today, if I come to a customer with a $1000 estimate on their PM, they're likely to go buy a new machine. I also still have a few machines on maintenance agreements. The unit in my photo album has a note on it where I rebuilt it in 2010. :-D

I've found a source for the gear kits, after market, the full set of gears is just $6. I can pop that unit open and replace those gears in about 15 minutes, and have done it in the customer's office. I know that developer is getting back in, so that's why I thought I'd try the RTV trick. A buddy of mine showed me this in his toner cart remanufacturing business.

When I was Service Manager at the big dealership (now out of business), I laughed at the small independents. I called them "Jo Jo the Rag man", but that's me today. I appreciate your comments and ideas.

Robin

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The thing that will eventually force me to buy the lower dev case, is that shaft, eventually it gets worn out. I lubricated it with Alvania grease, a synthetic grease we used on Konica's back in the 80's. The G seals on the Konica developing unit bearings would fail and leak. We'd actually remove the seal, make a new seal out of a weebril pad soaked in Alvania grease. This trick worked better than the crappy OEM dev bearing G seals. :-D

Retired 10,000+ Posts

So, I'm a small independent. 37 years of field experience, in '95 I was local service manager with 12 techs, in 2000 I was Danka Area Manager with 29 techs. Today, it's me, my truck and my garage trying to pay the bills, but at least I get to do it my way. ;-)
    Many years ago yhe company I worked for was a dealer for Royal copiers. Danny Doyle, the Dan in Danka, was the Royal sales rep for our region.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    Many years ago yhe company I worked for was a dealer for Royal copiers. Danny Doyle, the Dan in Danka, was the Royal sales rep for our region.
    I never got to meet Dan, but I sat next to the CFO at a dinner one night and he told me a story about him. They were in the World Trade Center when it was bombed, the first time, in the parking garage back in '93. They had to come down the emergency stair well, he said it was so crowded they had to take one step, then wait. Smoke was billowing up the stairwell, and when they finally made it out to the street, the CFO (forgot his name) was thankful to still be alive, looked at Dan, who's face was black with soot. Dan looked at his watch and said 'We can still make our afternoon appointment"... :-D

The corporate execs chased him out and they drug that company into the dirt.