Technician

Ricoh c4501 also richo Aficio 2851 couple problems

First off i'm not a ricoh person.. but they asked when i was in there to work on a canon.

on the c4501 the black drum is leaking.. i removed the drum unit there was toner on the drum guide cleaned the small mess
    got rid on the crappy prints looked to see if there is a drum seal out there doesn't look like it didn't find anything on how to take it apart and get a good look. that's one.. when you make a copy it's quiet as a mouse... when you print it makes a howling kinda noise transfer belt?

Aficio 2851
    opened the front door found a toner spill or leak removed the toner supply unit the inside of the machine was clean.
    the mess was in the drive assemble on the unit replaced the supply unit installed the toner that was in the old unit
    few days later it's calling for toner and there's a slight mess again. there was a good amount of toner in the bottle that i installed.

i should have said no to them.. it's to late now ...lol

thanks in advance for the help

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: Ricoh c4501 also richo Aficio 2851 couple problems

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    First off i'm not a ricoh person.. but they asked when i was in there to work on a canon.

on the c4501 the black drum is leaking.. i removed the drum unit there was toner on the drum guide cleaned the small mess
    got rid on the crappy prints looked to see if there is a drum seal out there doesn't look like it didn't find anything on how to take it apart and get a good look. that's one.. when you make a copy it's quiet as a mouse... when you print it makes a howling kinda noise transfer belt?

Aficio 2851
    opened the front door found a toner spill or leak removed the toner supply unit the inside of the machine was clean.
    the mess was in the drive assemble on the unit replaced the supply unit installed the toner that was in the old unit
    few days later it's calling for toner and there's a slight mess again. there was a good amount of toner in the bottle that i installed.

i should have said no to them.. it's to late now ...lol

thanks in advance for the help
    RUN dont walk away,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    the mpc4501 series is actually pretty good series the other if it has the same design as the 2027 and later the welcome to the bad design of these midrange b/w copiers..
    you need to get copy count and the drum count to really know what gives.
    For all you know both could be past life span...
    R

You've done step one and replaced the toner supply unit on the 2851 and now it sounds as though you need to replace the pcdu.
    It sounds like the auger is bound up.

if the drum is shot it probably has toner above the lasr unit and probably the fuser has toner on fingers,entrance guide plate,thermisters etce tc..maybe a full pm is needed

Technician

on the 4501 reseated the drums and transfer belt noise is gone.
    the black drum unit was a mess again had my glasses on looks like the drum seal blade flipped. cleaned up the mess so they have decent copies/ prints in the mean time. is there a seal out there? or...
    left the print out at the call i think the black drum has 88K

on the 2851 the in the dv unit the augers are not broken seemed like one was a little bound up. if that's the case wouldn't i hear the auger gear popping? i was thinking possible toner motor but its pouring out toner between the toner unit and the developer unit.
    and the mag roller design weird. only other thing i can think of is a toner sensor. but the Dv unit isen't packed with toner and there's no code.
    the machine has 149K

i know this is stranded maintenance but i don't do ricoh

Thank You everyone for the help
    Last edited by felix; 03-09-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    on the 4501 reseated the drums and transfer belt noise is gone.
    the black drum unit was a mess again had my glasses on looks like the drum seal blade flipped. cleaned up the mess so they have decent copies/ prints in the mean time. is there a seal out there? or...
    left the print out at the call i think the black drum has 88K

on the 2851 the in the dv unit the augers are not broken seemed like one was a little bound up. if that's the case wouldn't i hear the auger gear popping? i was thinking possible toner motor but its pouring out toner between the toner unit and the developer unit.
    and the mag roller design weird. only other thing i can think of is a toner sensor. but the Dv unit isen't packed with toner and there's no code.
    the machine has 149K

i know this is stranded maintenance but i don't do ricoh

Thank You everyone for the help
    you need to ck the count on the drum unit.do a smc printout
    in my opinion and experience these drums blow...
    you can clean the mess and 3 weeks later it returns....
    you can use a type 1027 drum on it

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    how would the drum have anything to do with it? sounds odd to me.
    but then i don't know ricoh.

again thank you everyone for your help

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh c4501  also  richo Aficio 2851 couple problems

Quote Originally Posted by fshead View Post
    I'm not sure why you have so much hate for this group.
    In my experience, all they do is run- going right back to to AF 220.
    The only MESS I ever see is from a leaky toner hopper. Replace them every 150-200K or so for $30. No big deal?
    They're also pretty easy (but REALLY MESSY)to tear them apart, and clean up the seals, so I prefer to just replace them.
    Otherwise, a PCU evey 60-80K, fuser rebuild every 150K +, Paper feed rollers/ pads when needed.
    I have a small school with an old AF1027 that just turned 1.5 million, that I sold with low usage about 12 years ago. It's never had more than PM items replaced, and they won't part with it. I can hardly blame them.

However, all that said, I agree with you on the PCU (Although there's no actual PCU counter on this model unless the generic "60K Part" PM counter was reset at time of replacement).
    I'm pretty confident that's what the issue is here.

I also agree that the Type 1027 PCU is what most of us use, rather than rebuilding the units, even though it's not specifically designed for this model. They work perfectly, and are basically plug and play.

BTW....if you're unsure, it's pretty easy to see if the toner bottle is turning. It's only 2 screws to remove the copy exit tray (unless there's a finisher installed), and you can watch the operation up close