Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ricoh 171 SSL / TLS Certificate

This is on a Ricoh spf 171, (long story) I created a SSL /TLS certificate putting in client info (dumb idea). Anyway now I cannot access the device thru the Web interface. Any browser blocks access to the site, a security risk.
    Which memory clear will reset / clear the security settings ( now that I can no longer access the WIM)

Thanks for any ideas

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Re: Ricoh 171 SSL / TLS Certificate

You should be able to accept the insecure connection using Chrome and get into WIM. Otherwise just change back to Ciphertext/Cleartext in User Tools.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    This is on a Ricoh spf 171, (long story) I created a SSL /TLS certificate putting in client info (dumb idea). Anyway now I cannot access the device thru the Web interface. Any browser blocks access to the site, a security risk.
    Which memory clear will reset / clear the security settings ( now that I can no longer access the WIM)

Thanks for any ideas
    This should do it:

SP5870-003
    Execute
    Reboot

Coincidentally, I ran accross this recently myself with a couple of machines.
    I started this thread ​about it, and thanks to some great advice, I confirmed the solution in my final post
    Last edited by sandmanmac; 03-09-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

I have always used SP 5801-011 NCS (Network Control System) clear a device certificate. Why were you trying to create a certificate? Most apps and options that require certificate, such as @remote, will generate their own certificate during installation.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    You should be able to accept the insecure connection using Chrome and get into WIM.
    This is crazy! I just set up a device certificate again to play around, and you're right! On the "warning page", I was able to click on the advanced tab and either select "proceed anyway", or "add an exception" (depending on the browser) and access the WIM.
    I swear that didn't work 2 months ago when I was struggling with this!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

thank you everyone for answers, Problem solved !

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    thank you everyone for answers, Problem solved !
    Yes, Problem solved quickly resulted in web browser setting, has nothing to do with the printer. the SSL/TLS certificate not working with browsers pop up warning message, it needs a thousand dollars to get Root Authority Certificate from CA top level. I met many times and give up.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peterxu256 View Post
    Yes, Problem solved quickly resulted in web browser setting, has nothing to do with the printer. the SSL/TLS certificate not working with browsers pop up warning message, it needs a thousand dollars to get Root Authority Certificate from CA top level. I met many times and give up.
    The only machines I generally install certificates on are in Active Directory networks where they can generate their own devicename.domain.com certificates to be trusted in their AD. Outside of that, I try to just put the web interface to be accessible from specific machines.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    The only machines I generally install certificates on are in Active Directory networks where they can generate their own devicename.domain.com certificates to be trusted in their AD. Outside of that, I try to just put the web interface to be accessible from specific machines.
    It has nothing to do with Windows AD.
    Just like some website HTTPS, other just http.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peterxu256 View Post
    It has nothing to do with Windows AD.
    Just like some website HTTPS, other just http.
    I'm well aware of that. For internal networks, Active Directory offers the ability to build out an internal CA, which is why I use it for customers with AD in place as opposed to buying external certificates. If the means to build out TLS protected sites, especially for ones that only need to be on internal networks, is already in a product the majority of my customers are using, why wouldn't I use it?

Certificates from an outside provider like Digicert are best used for sites on the public Internet as opposed to something like a Web interface that only needs to be on an intranet.

One other issue with the MP 171, it can't generate a cert with a high enough encryption standard to get most broswers to say it's secure since you can't remove the old export grade ciphers from the machine.

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk