Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

mpc 4502 pcu's crusty toner

Does anyone know what is causing toner build up on the PCU, Its hard toner stuck to the drum. Then it causes black lines and spots on the copy. You can buff it off but I have one that it keeps coming back, This is happening to all the PCU's it seems except the yellow. I have replaced the complete PCU's on cyan and black. New developer unit and pcu but it still comes back, I thought it was coming from labels but they stopped using them. The ITB unit looks good but that is the only thing close to the drums.. Nothing on it. I talked with another tech and he has had the issue as well but he said it never came back. Any ideas? I am tired going out every two weeks to clean off the drum. Thanks for any input.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts fshead's Avatar

Re: mpc 4502 pcu's crusty toner

make sure all filters are clean and fans are working as a start..i even had one where they put the fan in backwards...older b/w series

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Are you using OEM toner?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Retired 10,000+ Posts

What is the PM count on the drum unit(s)? If the lube bar has worn down too far that can happen.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Yes its OEM toner. The black and cyan pcu's are new . Maybe 7000 copies on it. I dont want to keep installing new pcu's every time there is a build up. I will check the fans but I don't think that will be an issue. I just changed out the dv units to see if that helps. I have a feeling it may be the wax stuff in the PCU's. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. The PCU's are oem as well. Maybe switch to an NA Trading rebuild pcu to see if it works better. This is the only copier that seems to be having this problem. I have several of these in the field.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AMS View Post
    Does anyone know what is causing toner build up on the PCU, Its hard toner stuck to the drum. Then it causes black lines and spots on the copy. You can buff it off but I have one that it keeps coming back, This is happening to all the PCU's it seems except the yellow. I have replaced the complete PCU's on cyan and black. New developer unit and pcu but it still comes back, I thought it was coming from labels but they stopped using them. The ITB unit looks good but that is the only thing close to the drums.. Nothing on it. I talked with another tech and he has had the issue as well but he said it never came back. Any ideas? I am tired going out every two weeks to clean off the drum. Thanks for any input.
    are you using OEM or compatible drums/toners?

all my 12 years working on Ricoh ... I never found a compatible toner they liked.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Post Re: mpc 4502 pcu's crusty toner

Quote Originally Posted by AMS View Post
    Yes its OEM toner. The black and cyan pcu's are new . Maybe 7000 copies on it. I dont want to keep installing new pcu's every time there is a build up. I will check the fans but I don't think that will be an issue. I just changed out the dv units to see if that helps. I have a feeling it may be the wax stuff in the PCU's. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem. The PCU's are oem as well. Maybe switch to an NA Trading rebuild pcu to see if it works better. This is the only copier that seems to be having this problem. I have several of these in the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    are you using OEM or compatible drums/toners?

all my 12 years working on Ricoh ... I never found a compatible toner they liked.
    I get tired of having people the OEM does not mean the same as Genuine Ricoh (or Sharp or Canon or any other machine manufacturer). I just means that it is produced to the publish general specifications. It does not mean that quality of component, manufacturing, packaging or quality control is the same.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I've run into this pretty often on this series. The Lube bar deteriorates, and gets on the drum and charge roller. I've had success in removing the the lube bar and charge roller from the PCU, and vacuuming out all of the loose strands of lube bar and toner, and cleaning the charge roller and drum. Then reassembling. Only have had one call back for this issue, and that drum unit was well beyond it's yield.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    I get tired of having people the OEM does not mean the same as Genuine Ricoh (or Sharp or Canon or any other machine manufacturer). I just means that it is produced to the publish general specifications. It does not mean that quality of component, manufacturing, packaging or quality control is the same.
    sorry to me OEM toner has always meant Genuine Manufacture

Technician

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacture