Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

B003 Z folding copies

I have a Lanier version of the Savin 2535 that is Z folding copies at the front part (toward the lead edge) of the copies. Not consistant, but happens about once in 15-20 copies. I've replaced paper feed clutch and registration clutches, checked and tightened drive belts and it still folds them. It only happens on tray #1. Any help would be appreciated.

Aloha,
    Bill Monroe

School District Tech 500+ Posts schooltech's Avatar
    Have you pulled off the side of the machine and inspected all of the mylars/guides from drawer 1? Is it a reg. z fold or do you think something is causing it before the reg. roller?

Just to check if it's a drawer problem (but I don't think it is) did you swap drawers?
    Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Comptia A+, Comptia Network+

bcmfd003
    Check if there is no print in the Z-folded area. Probably relay clutch has become weak. Try replacing it.

Thumbs up Z folding copies

I'm ordering a new relay clutch as well as two timimg belts that have become stretched. This machine has over a million copies and it's in a school and the teachers are not too kind to equipment.

Aloha.
    Bill Monroe

E Winter
    Yeah that's obviuosly a problem with the reg or relay clutch. In case of an emergency you can open and clean the clutch very easy (unlike the last generation clutches wich are more fiddly to disassemble)

Z folding copies

I've found a solution to the "Z" folding copies. After replacing paper feed clutches, regristraion clutch and timing belts, I splurged and replaced the transfer drive clutch and VOILA! No more Z fold copies, regristration is dead on and consistant over 100 copies. I'll never forget this one.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Don't forget registration

Don't forget to replace the registration clutch as well. It can also cause this. The first time I saw it was in a nursing home. The z-folds were getting caught in the duplexer, as the customer wasn't complaining about folded paper, but jams in the duplex. Once I saw what was happening, and that the creases were there when it went past the drum (no image inside fold), it wasn't to difficult to find.

The relay clutch reactivates with the registration, pushing the paper into buckle but the slipping reg. clutch makes the paper buckle too far, causing the fold.

If you didn't replace the reg. clutch, you may find the problem returning sooner than you'd like. It is the same part number as the relay clutch.

B003 Z fold copies

Yeah, I did replace the reg clutch and I though that would fix it. It helped but it still was folding unabated. The transfer drive clutch replacement was a dramatic difference. Everything seems to be fine now. Over one million copies but runs like new for the time being. It's in a school and teachers are not very kind to equipment. We'll see.

Aloha,
    Bill Monroe