Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Ricoh mp C406z error to replace all toners, but after same thing

Hi guys, customer said the display indicated to replace all toners.after they did, the display says "printer is low on toner/ink, and the animation showes arrows under all 4 toners.

This man ran me up one side and down the other, just from the phone call. I don't know them, but was hoping for any helpful ammunition before I stick my neck out and stand in the firing line.

Since it isn't showing a typical SC code, I am sceptical.

If anyone might have an idea if this is even worth the drive out, I would be thankful.

I hope you have a nice day, Jim.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Re: Ricoh mp C406z error to replace all toners, but after same thing

Hi

I see it has the same toner detection board as the MPC305.

Probably the same rubish toner bottle connectors as well where the pins bend and then don't recognise the bottles.

Remove the toner detection board and check the pins for damage. especially the long ones in the centre of the connectors.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    100% agreement with polarbear. Since RICOH modified the seals of the toner-hoppers, the only problems came from the brb-board / customer.
    Greetings...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Or could be as simple as the customer gets confused & fits the empty bottles back, mine do that a lot!
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Good morning guys. thank you so much. i have seen that same issue with a xerox Phaser 6400, the contacts can bend. that one was nearly impossible to get to it though.

i was also thinking that since the customer is obviously an arrogant man that thinks that since he can ramble off what he owns, and who he's done business with, that he likely either may not have pulled any tape seals, or like you pointed out, may have carelessly rammed them in and damaged something.

i really appreciate your help. i will post the outcome. have a great day, Jim

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

...Unless someone else mentioned it, you might also want to check and see if they're using Aftermarket toner. Those might not give an accurate reading on the sensors. Also asking if the customer removed the bottle to "Shake it and try to get a little more toner out of it", and then reinserted it? I've had a couple customers do that to me as well.

(I try telling them, "Prepare New Toner" is NOT the same as "Replace Toner"...but they never listen....LOL!)

...just a thought.

yes, i was also thinking of that. its pouring here in Los Angeles, so i was wasting a little time to see if it lightens up, as the "rich" man is up on the hill....

Hi Guys, as you suggested, i removed the 4 toners. a lot of spilling in there. i used the mirror to inspect the contacts. they all looked good. i cleaned the toner CRUM chip contacts and ran them all back in and it reset. i vacuumed out the spilled toner, and there was more spilling as it appears that the toner shutter and the retract claws, isn't a very solid design. so i vacuumed the toner cavity's out again and ran copies. i informed the customer that i wont be surprised if it does it when they change toner again, and they may want to call me to do it.( yea right).

the labels did look OEM, but i didn't see the boxes they came in.

he also informed me that "That's a $20,000 dollar rug the toner spilled on!" looked like a Home Depot area rug to me.?

thank you all so much for the fast and expert advice on this machine. I really appreciate it.
    Have a very nice evening, Jim

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonerjockey View Post
    he also informed me that "That's a $20,000 dollar rug the toner spilled on!" looked like a Home Depot area rug to me.?
    .....and it probably was!
    I've got no time for crap like that!
    This is a really hard living to earn, and I appreciate every customer I have. I (like you, I'm sure), take great pride in creating honest and personal relationships with my customers. But on rare occasions that I've run across a person like this, that just wants to run their mouth, disresepect, and condescend to me, especially when I had nothing to do with the probem in the first place? I have ZERO time for that, and it really feels good not to have to worry about 'answering to the boss" when you tell that person their money isn't worth the trouble...., and walk out the door. (at least it does to me)

your right. my wife heard me on the phone defending myself when i had never seen or met the man before. she couldn't believe that i didn't tell him take a hike and took the call.
    but i have learned that not only do i need the money, and even though i have turned this type down many times in the past, i still remember the few that i was so close to firing due to their rude temperment, but several, years later they turned out to actually be the best customers you could have. i don't know what it is, but i doubt this particular person will fit that bill.

its sad that people have to start every transaction with how much they own, how many properties they have, on and on. they are obviously very lonely people and think the money gives them the right to treat people poorly, while expecting to be treated nicely...