Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

auto reset to job end on ricohs

Hello

We have several customers that want the machine to auto reset as soon as a copy job is finished. We haven't been able to find a solution to this. You can set the auto reset timer very low, but this doesn't really solve the issue. A sample here of what can happen:

* Person A walks up to machine, makes 50 copies.
    * Person B is waiting for person A's job to finish.
    * As soon as Person A's job is done, person B puts their originals in and hits copy without looking
    * Person B gets 50 copies, thinking they were only going to get 1 copy.

This is only an issue for us with customer's that had other brands of copier before. Several brands exhibit this auto reset at job end by default. You can even enable auto reset at job end on ricohs for the scanner function, using Scanner SP: SP1-012-001 “User Info Release” change setting to a 1. Surely there must be a way to do this in copy mode.

Thanks!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Re: auto reset to job end on ricohs

i tell my customers to always press the yellow reset button every time they walk up to the machine.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Sounds to me like a training problem for the salesman. Minimum auto reset time for system and functions is 10 seconds.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urushiol View Post
    You can even enable auto reset at job end on ricohs for the scanner function, using Scanner SP: SP1-012-001 “User Info Release” change setting to a 1. Surely there must be a way to do this in copy mode.
    It's not the same at all.
    User info release is just that, it releases the user but none of the settings that user may have set until the programmed scanner reset time is reached.
    As suggested, it seems to me that telling them to press reset then copy is a pretty small ask. It's never been an issue for me.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts DRichard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    ...it seems to me that telling them to press reset then copy is a pretty small ask.
    WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? A customer's time is very important! How could we possibly expect an end user to push an additional keystroke that would solve their entire problem without having to create an additional problem no matter how imagined it may be??? HOW DARE YOU, SIR?!!!

Technician

Alright, I appreciate the replies.

The customer can adapt, but isn't it our job to make things easier for them? You all act like I'm crazy for even posting this.

You got to understand in a large company with lots of users, who are accustomed to a way their previous copier operated(which they had for 10 years!) that there will be some transition time. That old habit will die hard. It will take some time, but it will die.

I don't think it unreasonable for them to press one extra button. I just figured if we could help them eliminate errors or problems by removing one thing for them to remember it would be good.

It's fine that there isn't a solution to this, I just don't understand your attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Urushiol View Post
    Alright, I appreciate the replies.

The customer can adapt, but isn't it our job to make things easier for them? You all act like I'm crazy for even posting this.

You got to understand in a large company with lots of users, who are accustomed to a way their previous copier operated(which they had for 10 years!) that there will be some transition time. That old habit will die hard. It will take some time, but it will die.

I don't think it unreasonable for them to press one extra button. I just figured if we could help them eliminate errors or problems by removing one thing for them to remember it would be good.

It's fine that there isn't a solution to this, I just don't understand your attitudes.
    You as the purveyor of the NEW equipment must make clear the design differences that go along with it AT THE OUTSET. By trying to accommodate their old expectations, you do them a disservice and create unnecessary headaches for yourself. Explain to them why not having the machine instantly reset itself is a PLUS and not a design limitation. You need to have an experienced sales rep spend some REAL time training the new users on why your equipment is a better alternative to the old fleet of machines. If done properly, you will find yourself dealing with actual service issues and not imagined or user-created problems.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DRichard View Post
    WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? A customer's time is very important! How could we possibly expect an end user to push an additional keystroke that would solve their entire problem without having to create an additional problem no matter how imagined it may be??? HOW DARE YOU, SIR?!!!
    You as the purveyor of the NEW equipment must make clear the design differences that go along with it AT THE OUTSET. By trying to accommodate their old expectations, you do them a disservice and create unnecessary headaches for yourself. Explain to them why not having the machine instantly reset itself is a PLUS and not a design limitation. You need to have an experienced sales rep spend some REAL time training the new users on why your equipment is a better alternative to the old fleet of machines. If done properly, you will find yourself dealing with actual service issues and not imagined or user-created problems.
    You sir are a total idiot. We have never had any problems instructing customers to clear settings. We have never had complaints from customers about having to do so. BTW, I have been working on copiers since 1972. How long have you?

Quote Originally Posted by slimslob View Post
    You sir are a total idiot. We have never had any problems instructing customers to clear settings. We have never had complaints from customers about having to do so. BTW, I have been working on copiers since 1972. How long have you?
    TOTAL idiot? (have you been talking to my ex-wives?) Your professional assessments of my very limited abilities is duly noted. I bow to your advanced years. Please accept my congratulations on surviving the last ice age.

Retired 10,000+ Posts

TOTAL idiot? (have you been talking to my ex-wives?) Your professional assessments of my very limited abilities is duly noted. I bow to your advanced years. Please accept my congratulations on surviving the last ice age.
    At my age, I don't have time to put up with idiot like you. Don't bother responding because you have been added to my ignore list.